secondhandheaven
secondhandheaven, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  20 years+ competency in domestic construction and plumbing
19471162

I urgently need to identify a part (and source a

Customer Question

I urgently need to identify a part (and source a replacement) for my shower which just shattered when I dropped on the floor.It is a ceramic disk part from the tap valve. I can upload a photo.I was dismantling to try to stop a drip. I have also noticed a rubber component which is also worn.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  secondhandheaven replied 5 months ago.

Hello Charlie, my name is George,

Those parts are usually specific to the particular shower they come with and usually do not come as spare parts...

You could have a new one made from resin if you can glue the old one together to make a mould. This could be done very easily and the places I use for these sorts of projects are the local college pottery classes & the local garage.

Get the mould made at the pottery class and then take the mould to the local mechanics to see if he will mix you some resin to fill the mould casting.

Do you have the make and model of the shower by any chance?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got a bit impatient and glued it myself to see if it would give a temporary hold so that I could put the water back on. The leak is quite bad so we're just turning the main stop cock on and off when we don't need a tap/shower. So it's far from a permanent fix.I've got to say I'm a bit nervous about your suggestion. I have glued the piece together and it looks a reasonable fix but the leak is bad so any new part would need to be perfect.I've done some research. I didn't install shower but there's an old thermostat cartridge in a box which appears to match a hudson reed/ultra part component on the Internet.Hudson reed / ultra also make the following part which looks very close to what I am after, at least at the end with the ceramic discs.
https://www.showerdoc.com/4-way-diverter-cartridge-retrofit-sb322It seems worth a try. If not I guess I could try your option but it sounds really challenging.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ps thanks for the reply

You are very welcome.

Another alternative would be to have the replacement made by an engineering firm (for preciseness) .. I use one near me, but it would need to be made of either aluminium or stainless steel, and I would imagine that could be quite costly.

.
Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi GeorgeI did a Google image search and took a gamble and ordered the part off the Internet that looked most like what I had broken. I got lucky and it worked.As a result I won't be going with your recommendation but I appreciate the idea. I simply don't think it would have worked out well for me though.I have used Just Answer before and generally found it very good. On this occasion, I don't want to sound ungrateful but indont think your suggestion was a viable answer, nor was it a super quick answer as I had to wait til the next morning.I certainly don't want to give you negative feedback but also I don't want to pay the full charge this time. Do you know the best way to resolve this?Many thanksCharlie

Hello Charlie,

The best way is to contact JustAnswer Customer Services at***@******.***.

Whatever you decide to do, I am glad that you got the issue sorted and are back up and running. If you ever need advice again, please feel free to seek me out via justanswer.com, I will always help if I can.

regards

George