Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I have a open vented system in a conventional house. Im

Customer Question

Hi...
I have a open vented system in a conventional house.
Im planning on moving both the hot and cold water storage tanks within my home...
I understand that the higher the cold water tank above the taps the better....
Are there any height requirements or advantages with the hot tank height location ? Or could I put it anywhere? Even on the ground floor ?
I've noticed that many airing cupboards have the hot tank off the floor... Why is this the case if it's the cold tank night that creates the pressure ?
I have electric showers...
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi, yes you can put the hot tank/cylinder on the ground floor. They are usually raised just for support,ie across the boards for weight distribution.

Higher the tanks the better the pressure. For every 10 metres you get 1 bar of pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... Thanks for the reply...."the higher the tanks the better the pressure"I assume because you've put "tanks" then the hot water cylinder height does have an effect on water pressure, even though it " could " go on the ground floor... I assume because the cold water tank pushes the hot water from the ground floor ( if it was located on the ground floor) hot water tank back up to the up stairs taps... And my head of water measurement would be from the cold tank outlet in the attic to the upstairs taps irrespective of the hot tank location....?
But ideally you'd place the hot tank outlet higher than the upstairs tap outlet... Is there a desired height to have the hot water cylinder outlet about the taps ?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi , yes the pressure out of the taps will be the dependent on the distance from the tap/outlet to the tank level. So pressure will be higher on the ground taps than higher floors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify.....
In your last message you mention a tank...
Would this be the hot or cold tank ?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi , yes the cold water storage tank. The relative height of that tank to the outlets are what gives the pressure. The hot tank placement isn't important in that regard as the water runs through it with minor pressure loss.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... That's brilliant... Thank you for clarifying that....
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome