canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

1. Which of the following copper-pipe fittings will create a

Customer Question

1.   Which of the following copper-pipe fittings will create a straight line of pipe, with no change in direction?
A. Drop ear elbow
B. Coupling
C. Tee
D. Elbow
2.   Which of the following is an advantageof a compression valve?
A. Unobstructed flow
B. None of its parts ever need repair.
C. Limits water flow to one direction
D. Easy replacement of critical parts
3.   What can be installed between the outlet of the flush valve and fixture to prevent back siphoning?
A. Vacuum breaker
B. Plunger
C. Diaphragm
D. Circuit breaker
4.   Which of the following is not an advantage of ground key valves?
A. Rapid opening and closing
B. Simplicity of design
C. Unobstructed flow
D. Flow volume regulation
6.   The difference between a closet ell and a 90-degree ell is that the closet ell
A. includes a reducer.
B. provides a 45-degree turn.
C. includes bolt mounts for a toilet.
D. includes a cleanout.
7.   A device protecting the home's plumbing from excessive pressure should be installed if the incoming municipal water pressure exceeds _______ psi.
A. 60
B. 40
C. 80
D. 100
8.   Local plumbing codes may prohibit water heaters that burn natural gas from being installed in a
A. bathroom.
B. basement.
C. storage closet.
D. bedroom
9.   What type of valve controls flow with a metal disk that slides at a right angle to the direction of water flow?
A. Gate
B. Ball
C. Ground key
D. Compression
10.   When using a solar collector in a solar-assisted water heating system, it's typical to install
A. one storage tank feeding a water heater.
B. a holding tank, but no heater.
C. two water heaters in parallel.
D. a single large holding tank.
11.   Which of the following fixtures or appliances would contain a T/P valve?
A. Urinal
B. Water heater
C. Heat pump
D. Toilet
13.   During a water heater's normal operation, water temperature is controlled by the
A. thermostat.
B. safety shutoff.
C. standing pilot.
D. tank size.
14.   What do you need to know to estimate the minimum-capacity gas-fired water heater that should be installed in a home?
A. R value of insulation in the building
B. Type of other heat in the building
C. Type of pipes installed in the plumbing system
D. Number of bathrooms and bedrooms
15.   The buildup of _______ water in a water heater's tank is considered a major hazard.
A. potable
B. cold
C. warm
D. superheated
A. potable
B. cold
C. warm
D. superheated
17.   When plumbing a house prior to installation of the water meter, a plumber needs to know the
A. proper method for installing the specific type of meter as this varies from one model to another.
B. meter's capacity.
C. meter's laying length.
D. safety features designed into the specific type of meter.
18.   Ball valves allow or prevent flow with a one-quarter turn of their handles in much the same way as _______ valves.
A. flush
B. gate
C. ground key
D. compression
20.   The outside diameter of ABS and PVC pipe is _______ the pipe's nominal size.
A. more than
B. equal to
C. exactly double
D. less than
-----------------17 question -------
21. What is the best treatment for removing organic chemicals such as benzene or chloroform from water?
A. Using an activated charcoal filter
B. Adding soda ash or caustic soda
C. Filtering by reverse osmosis
D. Chlorinating the water
22.   Which of the following statements about sodium hypochlorite is true?
A. It's effective in removing organic chemicals.
B. It's a mineral found naturally in most private wells
23.   The amount of air pressure in a water-pressure storage tank is
A. always maintained at 50 psi.
B. removed by a vacuum break.
C. referred to as supercharge.
D. directly related to the supply piping diameter
24.   One possible treatment for dissolving calcium and magnesium is through the process of
A. pasteurization.
B. reverse osmosis.
C. distillation.
D. filtration.
25.  Which sentence about using a zeolite water softener as a water treatment is true?
A. There may be an increase of salt in your diet.
B. The zeolite will kill any bacteria in the water.
C. The filter cartridge must be replaced regularly.
D. It requires a soda ash /chlorine tank
26.   Tapping a municipal water supply for a new residence would most likely
A. improve alkaline pH levels.
B. occur only where shallow wells are common.
C. help remove air from the municipal system.
D. not interrupt the neighbor's water supply.
27.   Water containing bacteria, protozoa parasites, and viruses is made potable through treatment with
A. an activated charcoal filter.
B. chlorine.
C. a clarifier filter.
D. a sediment filter
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
28.   A submersible pump's capacity depends on the
  A. size of its check valve.
  B. number of stages.
  C. size of the pressure tank it supplies.
  D. level of backpressure from fixtures installed in the plumbing system
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. 1.B 2.A 3.A 4.D 5.A 6.B 7.C 8.D 9.C 10.C 11.B 12.missing 13.A 14.D 15.D 16 missing 17.C 18.A 19 missing 20.A 21.C 22.A 23.B 24.D 25.C 26.A 27.C 28.C

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I still have 2 pic
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mike I'm confused because you give me 5.A go back to the picture I just send to you

Reducing coupling no? Sorry for the delay. Doggie insisted it was time for my walk.

12 is kind of misleading. I would say C but have not seen that fitting. Any of them can be used in a vent system with the direction of the fitting going upstream, opposite of a drain system.

19.B

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

So for 2 the correct answer is D? I would say that would not exactly be the correct answer because using a compression fitting on rigid pipe does not necessarily make the fitting removable and serviceable but surely a compression fitting is always less obstructive than an insert fitting. That was my thinking.

For 5 I did answer A

For 6 I was not sure because as far as I know a closet bend is not any of the descriptions but there is a closet bend with a 45 degree angle....otherwise none of the other descriptions fit except for that one.

8 you cannot install a water heater in a bedroom. That is the code but of course local codes could make any answer that is given be the correct one. No?

9 I guess I may be not understanding the description of the valve. The description is quite unclear and not really describing more that a back flow preventer or swing check valve. Curious to know which is being described there.

10. Solar assisted would need a separate water heater for storage of the heated water from a solar heated water heater so you would need two water heaters for the application described. Curious to know what the right answer to that one is then.

16 was missing. It was a repeat of 15 and did not answer that one.

18 hardly fit any of the descriptions....I answered based on the quickness of the closing and opening of both. I was not so clear on where that question was going.

19 B is a sanitary tee. C has no application other than irrigation. C is not a sanitary tee.

I like this although the questions are not quite clear and leave a lot of room for interpretation. Should I just ask for more clarification before answering them?