Jerry
Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  Residential journeyman plumber, over 20 years experience.
34748161

Our water bill has shot up compared to previous years. We

Customer Question

Our water bill has shot up compared to previous years. We have not used more water. We have checked the water metre - it doesn't move when we have used no water. The water metre is not faulty. So we must have a leak. But the leak only happens when we use water - is it possible to have a leak and not be aware of it. Could it be that somehow the washing machine or other appliance is using loads more water than it should?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

The only thing I suggest is run the washing machine and nothing else during the cycle.

Make a note of both readings and check the manufacturer's instructions for correct water usage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. Will try that. But could you tell me if it is possible to have a leak that only happens when water is coming into the house - we know there is no leak when the water is switched off at the mains.

Yes, if you have pipework under floors on the ground floor, especially in concrete floors, but this would show when everything was off and/or full and movement on the water meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for that. Have just had the meter changed in the hope the problem was a faulty meter. We are continuing to monitor water usage.

No problem - let me know what you find.

You could try isolating the washing machine to see if the solenoid a are passing, but if this was the case then the drum would slowly fill.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to rate you - my computer not responding to touching rating stars. Really sorry.