JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

I have turned off my hot water supply and disconnected a

Customer Question

i have turned off my hot water supply and disconnected a tap. i have turned the water back on at the stopcock next to my hot water tank and the water will not come back on through the hot tap.
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi, what type of system do you have is it gravity and mains fed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
water tank in my loft.
Pipe comes down to a red stopcock , I tuned this and then another large square is one at the bottom, disconected my bathroom tap and put a end on the pipe, turned ( i thought water back on) but now have no supply to my kitchen tap or even when i uncap the pipe that either. when i put the big valve to a different position water come's out the overflow
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it sounds like the big valve is a drain \ pressure release if that is resulting in water going out of the overflow.

Best thing to do is go back to basics, and work from there.

Can you confirm, cold water is running through all taps (kitchen and bathroom), and that there is water in the header tank in the loft?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cold water , toilet etc. are all working fine.
we have flushed and refilled toilet and used cold water all taps
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

From what you have explained this looks to be gravity fed system, from looking at the pipes going to the hot water tank does this look like the image here?
In order to stop hot water there are two ways, the direct way is to switch off the valve which comes off the to of the water water tank (labelled low pressure hot water on the diagram), however the other way would be to turn off the inlet from the feeder\header tank in the loft, this just takes longer as you have to wait for the pressure to reduce and lose a little more water.
Can you locate the two isolation valves one being the inlet from the loft, and the other being the outlet to the hot water taps?