Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
77408428

I got home today to find I had left a cold tap running

Customer Question

Hi, I got home today to find I had left a cold tap running slightly. Tonight I find I have no hot water,in fact the water stoped running. I went into the loft and all the header tanks are empty. What do I need to do? The tanks are not filling up on there own
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi, make sure a stopcock or isolation valve hasn't been turned off on the mains pipework going into the tank inf the loft. Check the ballvalve arm isn't stuck and moves up and down freely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ballvalve is moving freely,and no stopcocks are off. Di need to prime the tanks with water?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the tanks should be filling via the incoming mains supply through the balvvalves.

Check that no one has turned your outside stopcock off by mistake

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have mains cold water coming through the taps. No water going into tanks. Guessing some sort of airlock. Thanks for help but I really need to get a plumber out in the morning.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi, if your header tanks are empty as you said there is an issue with the mains water filling your tanks . It might be better calling your water board and they should come and check