JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

I am in a top floor flat (no.4). The supply from Thames

Customer Question

I am in a top floor flat (no.4). The supply from Thames Water comes into the basement flat (no.1) and is shared by all 4 flats.
Flat 1 has a leaking pipe which is under the concrete floor. Recently a temporary plastic-type pipe was put in which avoids the leak. It goes from the inlet pipe and travels above the floor of Flat 1 and then connects to the pipe which takes the water to the flats above.
Since the temporary solution, I have no water; but flats 2 and 3 have water. I don't think there is an individual pipe going to Flat 4 only.
Advice appreciated.
Mark
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

I would expect there would be a riser and off the riser each flat would spur off. Depending on where that spur is and where they have intercepted it to bypass the leak may be causing your issue.

I would first contact the management firm for the flats to arrange for somone to investigate further, as they will hold plans for the riser and then can contact the water board directly and agree on what needs to be done both short and long term.

If you are that way incline, see if you can trace the pipe yourself, I assume your stop cock is under the kitchen sink, are you able to see where the pipe goes (does it go directly through the floor, run along a wall, there is normally a communal cupboard where these pipes would noramlly lead to, can you access it, and determine the route your kitchen pipe would take to get there?

Please send some pictures and ill see if I can give you any further suggestions, however as this is the rising main its really in the hands of the agent who manages the communal areas.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am just following up from last week, do you still require assistance?

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably not James - the agent and plumber are going in today to have a look. Will get back to you if no progress.
Mark Somerset
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Ok Mark, would certainly be interested to know what they find.

With any luck your water will be back on this afternoon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem solved - thanks for your help.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

No problem, glad you got there, appreciate if you can rate the service received so I can close the case down.

James