JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

Just had TRV's fitted and when the heating is on get a

Just had TRV's fitted and when the heating is on get a strong plastic burning smell, is that normal?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems to only come from 1 particular radiator that wasn't used much last winter
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good morning, this is not normal (if it smells like burning).

However if its not been used it may just be dusty and as its heating up burning the dust, the smell should dissipate after 6 hours of running I would expect, if it doesnt I would be inclined to give it a good dust from behind.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. We turned the heating on on the 1st October, the room in question has been undergoing decoration for sometime. But the smell only seems to have appeared since the weekend when we have installed a radiator cover and a new carpet. Its quite a plastic like smell that we are getting
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Is the TVR hot to touch, as the valve itself is metal its only the plastic on top made of plastic.

I would be inclined to think its due to you having a higher flow rate where you have reopened the balance valve on the other side.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, so what do you suggest to try and solve it?
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Is the TRV top hot to the touch?

I would start by turning down the radiator balance valve on the other side of the TRV, and have it set so its 1/4 open, air the room and see if after an hour if the smell is still present.

You could also close the TRV so its on frost protection, and see if the smell goes, then I would look to clean the radiator with a duster to remove and dust at the rear.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
TRV is not hot to touch. Have removed the new radiator cover and the smell seems to have reduced significantly
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like its just the oils drying out on the radiator cover, this isnt giving off dangerous fumes I would just place them in the airing cupboard or somewhere warm for it to air and dry out.

In conclusion I dont think you have anything to worry about, and do not think this is a TRV related issue.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank You
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Appreciate if you can rate the service received so I may resolve the case.

James