JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

How do I remove the top handle off a basin tap (fawcet) when

How do I remove the top handle off a basin tap (fawcet) when there no visible fixing screw?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a pillar tap but there is no removable top disc which would normally reveal a fixing screw. Nor is there a grub screw at the side.
I need access to replace the tap washer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The tap looks similar to a Twyford basin pillar tap I. D. RA5205CP
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** just going to ask if you could find something similar please give me a minute to look up the spec.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have taken a photo of it but I don't know how to send it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Photo here
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

These models generally have a mechanism which is fixed by friction and a mechanical washer, which eases off by appling downward pressure as you turn the tap off (anti clock wise), then you pull upwards as you rotate anti clockwise.

Its a rather poor design, and looking at the age will probably need some playing but a reasonable amount of force will be needed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The tap turns off when turned clockwise.
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Sorry John my mistake, you want to fully close the tap while apply downward force, and try lifting up once tap closed and rotating clockwise.

If this doesnt work it may simply be secured by friction, and worth trying to get some WD40 in the spindle and lever it off with a screw driver, if its still held on fast, use a blow lap and give it a lick to try and warm up and that should help free it for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried all that but didn't work. So I poured boiling water on the top and tried to twist and the very top of the handle unscrewed revealing the fixing screw.
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

So it wasnt a BB fixing after all, glad you freed the tap, I guess its one of those things it looked from the photo it was one piece.

James