Jerry
Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  Residential journeyman plumber, over 20 years experience.
34748161

To being, last week when the heating came on ( the pump).

Customer Question

To being, last week when the heating came on ( the pump). you could hear air in two rads.
After which the overflow for the header tank started. Opening the hot tap would stop this.
I have changed the pump and two temp stats. One cold stat on the Rayburn solid fuel
boiler, cooker etc. Yesterday I flushed 5 rads out of 10 by connecting a hose to the drain cock,and letting the water flow from the return and supply pipes one after the other.
Some brown water came out and cleared.
So I got the Rayburn up to heat, the pump came on, the rads started to heat up but the overflow on the header tank started again. to stop this the hot water was turned on and the pump stopped, and the overflow stopped.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

There should be two header tanks, one for CH the other for your cold water feed.

Which of the two is overflowing?