JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

I have just had a new bathroom/shower room fitted.

Customer Question

Hello, I have just had a new bathroom/shower room fitted. Immediately after there was a leak that came through my kitchen ceiling (directly below the shower room), we got the leak fixed (had to rip up the tiles and fix the pipe work again) Now there is a horrible musty smell in the bathroom. It does get better if we run the taps / flush the toilet but it doesn't last for long then the smell is back... how do I get rid of it???
Teri
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Teri,

This sounds like mould\damp or stagnant water.

When you lifted the tiles and repaired the leak did you dry out the chipboard floor, and plaster in the ceiling thoroughly?

In most cases when a leak occurs water will soak into the wood and make it damp, and cause a smell.

If the smell goes away when you run the taps, do you notice the same thing when you pour a bucket of water down the drain (and not run the taps)?. Since it might suggest one of the drain traps has failed, and your getting a drain smell coming up through the pipes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure there is chipboard, its a concrete floor. The villa is an old house from the 70's in Ibiza. The smell does smell 'dampy' and no it was not dried out. Will it eventually dry out by itself? I have just poured bleach down the drains and the smell improved for a few minutes but is straight back now so it might just be improving a little because of the ventillation when I turn the shower / sink on? I will try the bucket of water technique. I have images of the floor when they were laying the pipes so will forward over once I can find them.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

It should dry out if its a concrete floor just a case of turning up the heating for a day or two.

However if you notice the smell goes when you pour water down the drain, its a case of looking at the trap in the shower and sink, to make they are working properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its been a month now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the trap was the source of the initial leak apparently (they only noticed this after ripping half the bathroom apart unnecessarily)
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest you get them to check the trap

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

In most cases if the trap hasnt been fitted correctly, the smell from the soil stack (main drain) rises up out of the plug hole, hence why if you pour water down it, the smell appears to disappear for a short time.

If there was damp under the floor a month would have cleared it, so I think its a case of getting the plumbers back and check the trap is stopping smells rising from the drain.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Teri,

Appreciate if you can log back in and rate the service using the start rating of the page, so I can receive payment from JA.

As always should you have any follow up quesitons please let me know.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.
Hi Teri,Appreciate if you can log back in and rate the service using the start rating of the page, so I can receive payment from JA.As always should you have any follow up quesitons please let me know.Many thanksJames
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Teri,

James