Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Have a large house in which there is a shower pump located

Customer Question

have a large house in which there is a shower pump located on the second floor which serves the shower mixer/bath hot water tap in the adjacent room. The shower pump is sited only a foot below the bottom of the cold water storage tank. So there is only one foot head of water. It is only is linkedto the hot water supply which is a gravity feed boiler system.The boiler which is a normal or traditional type is on the ground floor and feeds a hot water storage tank which is also on the ground floor. Because it is a gravity feed system, the water pressure is adequate to supply hot water to the ground and the first floor but no to the second floor. This is why a shower pump was installed on the second floor. It is a monsoon 3 bar single impeller pump. However, I think is it is the wrong type, I believe it should be a negative head pump, and not a positive head pump as sometimes the water does not immediately flow and one has to open all the taps on the second floor to get the pump to kick in.My questions are:1. If it is the wrong type, should it be replaced with a negative shower pump?2. If it was moved to the ground floor and sited where the hot water tank outlet is, will it boost all the hot water flow throughout the house, including the second-floor bathroom?3. Does the pump being linked to all the hot water supply create any issues of the pump kicking in too frequently if any of the taps are not fully closed?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 2 months ago.

Positive and negative head is decided by the highest water outlet not where the pump is sited.
if it only comes in now and again then yes a negative head pump will be the better option.

to boost the whole house you need to connect it at the source of hot water
in your case the cylinder on the ground floor.

Yes of course if the taps are open the pump will or should run.

Hope this helps you in your decision making.
Brian

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
34;Positive and negative head is decided by the highest water outlet not where the pump is sited".This can't be just that. As it is in relation to the pump i.e. is there a difference in the level of the water feeding the pump (bottom of water tank), and the tap that is fed by the pump (i.e where the highest water outlet) which in my case is only a few inches difference but positive."If it only comes in now and again then yes a negative head pump will be the better option".OKTo boost the whole house you need to connect it at the source of hot water in your case the cylinder on the ground floor. Yes, of course, if the taps are open the pump will or should run. Hope this helps you in your decision making"I was told that the problem with having it as a pump feeding the whole house is even if a tap is left dribbling the pump (which is about £400, will run continuously and burn out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can not see the answer to above suplemental questions, one given I will rate you 5 star.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.