canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

We have installed a Mira Agile ERD shower and the tiling has

Customer Question

Hi there,
We have installed a Mira Agile ERD shower and the tiling has been completed. VERY unfortunately there seems to have been a mistake with the maths somewhere because we need the rainshower component to be sited a couple of centimetres at least (if not 10cm) higher than where it currently is. I have spoken to Mira and the part number that they recommend for this adds 30cm of overall height - which is too much. We have a maximum of 13cm clearance above the rainfall shower head spare before the ceiling starts.
I have tried ordering the short bar from Mira (part 1736.732), thinking I could swap out the standard bar currently on the riser... but the remaining parts will not then connect.I need a creative solution! Anything really that will do the trick without having to move the existing water pipes and take off ALL the tiling (one or two tiles would be fine, but we have a herringbone metro tile design going on so far too much work to start with major taking off and relaying of tiles).Nb. Our unfavourable backup option of course is to just to use the hand shower... but I would really much rather that my tall husband could fit under the standard set up and make use of the current rain shower!!Your practical, creative help MUCH appreciated.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nicola, if there is someone out there who can identify a fix it universal shower part that will solve our problem then I'm happy to pay for that advice!
Let me know if you get any positive news.
Natalie
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

There would be an inexpensive option but there would be one issue. Would it matter to you if the slide for the hand held did not raise all of the way up if the option I suggest would extend the shower head higher?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess that worse case scenario then would be to install a separate holder for the hand held if it was a problem - so go for it!

So, the bar is in pieces that are threaded together. You would get a rain head shower arm that is the same finish as the shower. These arms are straight. They have male threads on each end so you may have to order a coupling that has female threads of the same finish. The arm would be available at any plumbing supply and most likely the coupling too. At worst you would have to order the coupling. The rain head shower arm comes in different lengths too. The slide bar will go as high as it goes now but will not go any higher because of the coupling fitting and the arm may be slightly different than the bar as far as outer diameter. I am at work now so let me know what you think and I will respond when I can.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi there, sorry for delay in reply.
Am just trying to understand the option you present. I'm not quite sure I follow.Perhaps you could make some notes directly onto a diagram of the shower so that I can follow? (for example I don't understand what you take rain head shower arm to be - if it is the top horizontal rail then it does not come in different lengths for this shower model).There is a diagram of parts here:
https://www.showerspares.com/mira_shower_spares/mira_all/mira-agile-erd-thermostatic-mixer-shower-with-diverter-chrome-1736.403/FYI - we ordered a short stem (see number 8 on diagram) thinking we could add that onto the existing shower stem, but that was not possible. I just say that incase you can think of a way to utilise the spare part.Do provide links to spare parts yourself if poss.Many thanks,
Natalie

I was thinking something like this might work. click here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ps: didn't mean to sound abrupt!

The round cover does not have to be used. It has male threads on each end and is just a straight nipple. You would also need a female coupling for one end. You could use it to extend the riser arm. I understand that text does not represent as well as verbal communication. Now if you responded in all caps well......

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hmm... INTERESTING!
(appropriate use of caps ;-) )
The MIRA shower is 18mm diameter and we either need to find an extension that (in total with the length of the additional coupling) is either 660mm long so we can take out the existing riser *or* we need to find an extension and coupling set that is no greater than 160mm long...

I see, so the part I suggested is actually too long then?

Maybe the extension from the manufacturer is the only option. I do know that parts from the manufacturer are much more expensive. Have you tried shopping the model number of the part online?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We have maximum extra 16cm of air space above fittings currently in place now. Manufacturer part is too big. Shopping around not the problem but the part size (i know it feels like a long time ago but see original query posted:-) )
I did see a universal ceiling shower arm that was extendable and a mira one that could be cut to size. Not sure how that works entirely but thought that might be an option following your ceiling arm line of thought.
Need to try and make sure pipe diameters are correct too.

Thank you for suggesting that. I needed to read the question again. What parts did not connect when you tried the replacement part?