JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

My electric cylinder immersion heater has just stopped

My electric cylinder immersion heater has just stopped working. In the past I have used a reset button on the top of the heating rod, but this one (a replacement about a year or two ago) is a Backer BT 18 and doesn't seem to have a reset button. Is there any way of resetting one of these? Any other ideas?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

Hi Tony,

BT18 is a range of elements rather than a specific model, some of them come with a built in cut off (which has a reset button you have to press) and others do not. As part of building regulations a immersion needs to have a safety cut off fitted, this may be separate sensor on the tank.

The fact your previous element had a integrated cut off suggests the previous engineer has installed the wrong type of element, and its overheated and burnt out as there wasnt a safety device fitted, this can be very dangerous, and would suggest calling the engineer who fitted the element to confirm they didnt fit a separate cut off on the tank, if they admit to that, then I would get them to come back and replace the element with the correct type free of charge.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Great thanks.
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

So I can close the case please rate the service received.

James