JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

My builders are in the process of relocating my bathroom

Customer Question

My builders are in the process of relocating my bathroom upstairs. The bath is fitted but the hot water pressure from the bath tap (and presumably the shower) is too low. He wants to put a pump under the bath. Mindful that water and electricity don't mix, how safe is this? The airing cupboard with hot water tank is immediately adjacent to the bath in the adjoining landing. (Shower taps against the adjoining wall, bath taps at the other end.) Isn't it better to site it in the airing cupboard, rather than under the bath? I'm not sure why he has suggested under bath location. As he will be here soon a prompt reply would be appreciated, many thanks Jennie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

My name is ***** ***** under the bath is a common location for the citing of a pump. You normally locate the pump as close to the taps as possible, since if you fitted it further up the chain when you turned the basin tap on or flushed the toiler for example it would start, and you would only really want it to run when having a shower or bath.

There are some building regulations they must follow for citing a pump (or any electrical item), I will send the details over shortly.

However if the water pressure is really low and you would benefit from it running when using the basin, and happy for it also start when flushing the toiler there is no harm locating it in the airing cupboard, the only additional thing you may need to do if you cant redirect the toiler cold feed is to fit a pressure reducer as you may find the additional pressure will damage the inlet valve on the toiler over time.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

The website here gives you very good guidance around requirements etc.

So if the pump is fitted under a bath which does not have a side panel it would be in Zone 1, otherwise its not deemed in scope of a zone, the view being its not at risk of being splashed or touched.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I assume the bath has panels (and hence the pump is out of sight), so from a electrical regs perspective its fine to be installed, but would suggest its put on an RCD protected circuited.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I havent heard from you in a while, do you need any further assistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi JamesThank you for your answer, it was very helpful. Sorry not to get back to you before. My builders are currently working on something else so I don't know at present if I would need to get back to you about it again. Thanks, Jennie
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

No problem Jennie,

You can message back her any time in next 30 days to get further assistance should you have any follow up questions, in the mean time I would appreciate if you can rate the service received by me todate using the star rating on this page.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi James
Have given you a star rating as requested but if you don't mind will leave the tip until the query is completed.
Since yesterday have thought of another query. When the bath and shower were fitted the plumber originally thought a pump would not be necessary. Where does the wiring go for the under bath pump? The bath panels are not yet fitted but the wooden floorboards have been laid. Thanks, Jennie.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Jennie,

You would normally fit a pull cord to allow you to switch off the pump, which lets you access the wires ring main in the ceiling, you then drop a wire down the wall (behind the plaster if they have been tiled), and under the floor then drill a hold in the floor to bring the wire back up under the bath.

That said it may be possible to run the cable along the wall without going under the floor, rest assured this type of work gets done in finished bathrooms (as a after thought), so I wouldnt worry about the condition of your floor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you James, will discuss with the builder when they get back to the bathroom. Jennie
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

No problem, will await to hear back from you.