JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

I have F1 error in my British Gas 330+ boiler and no heating

Hi, I have F1 error in my British Gas 330+ boiler and no heating ;after restarting it starts but turns off again and back to showing F1. What todo ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon, my name is James

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

F1 is a generic fault stating its having issues lighting (not very helpful).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I read that online
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

With this type of fault it often points to issues with the gas supply, gas valve or flame sensor within the boiler.

When was the boiler last serviced, when you start the boiler do you see the pilot light come on (and if so how long)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have gas on my hob. Dunno when it was serviced as we just bought this place but BG said boiler is 8 years old. Right now the screen is dark with f1 blinking. When I press reset it lights up and starts for a bit; then screen goes off again and back to f1. I vent find how to actually turn it off. What is pilot light?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok you need to reset the boiler, by switching it off and on again using the switch next to the control panel.

The LED above the control panel should go green this is telling you the pilot light is on, on other models you can see the flame through the panel but this one is covered by the outer case.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

If the light goes green then to red it tells you its not sensing the flame, if its going straight to red it points towards a gas valve which isnt letting the gas into the boiler.

Let me know the outcome and can talk you through your options.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have restated several times. When clicking restart the screen turns yellow but then goes off again, see images
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok this suggests its a flame sensor failure which is a hardware fault (not user error), the part is around £30. However you will need a gas safe engineer to attend to strip it down replace the part and recommission the boiler.

If you would like me to recommend a local engineer please provide your postcode.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sw196rl
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I would recommend using EBR on(###) ###-####5047 or BBP on 0208(###) ###-#### they both have excellent customer feedback.

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks , could you pls tell me the name of this part required?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Its call a thermalcouple, if you tell the engineer its showing F1, they will know what they will need to check on site.