JamesI
JamesI, Property Manager
Experience:  I have installed new and maintained existing kitchens, bathrooms, and heating systems and even a swimming pool.
75967336

I have F1 error in my British Gas 330+ boiler and no heating

Hi, I have F1 error in my British Gas 330+ boiler and no heating ;after restarting it starts but turns off again and back to showing F1. What todo ?

Good afternoon, my name is James

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

F1 is a generic fault stating its having issues lighting (not very helpful).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I read that online

With this type of fault it often points to issues with the gas supply, gas valve or flame sensor within the boiler.

When was the boiler last serviced, when you start the boiler do you see the pilot light come on (and if so how long)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have gas on my hob. Dunno when it was serviced as we just bought this place but BG said boiler is 8 years old. Right now the screen is dark with f1 blinking. When I press reset it lights up and starts for a bit; then screen goes off again and back to f1. I vent find how to actually turn it off. What is pilot light?

Ok you need to reset the boiler, by switching it off and on again using the switch next to the control panel.

The LED above the control panel should go green this is telling you the pilot light is on, on other models you can see the flame through the panel but this one is covered by the outer case.

If the light goes green then to red it tells you its not sensing the flame, if its going straight to red it points towards a gas valve which isnt letting the gas into the boiler.

Let me know the outcome and can talk you through your options.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have restated several times. When clicking restart the screen turns yellow but then goes off again, see images

Ok this suggests its a flame sensor failure which is a hardware fault (not user error), the part is around £30. However you will need a gas safe engineer to attend to strip it down replace the part and recommission the boiler.

If you would like me to recommend a local engineer please provide your postcode.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sw196rl

I would recommend using EBR on(###) ###-####5047 or BBP on 0208(###) ###-#### they both have excellent customer feedback.

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks , could you pls tell me the name of this part required?

Its call a thermalcouple, if you tell the engineer its showing F1, they will know what they will need to check on site.