Jerry
Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  Residential journeyman plumber, over 20 years experience.
34748161

My boiler is losing pressure even when the heating/hot water

Customer Question

My boiler is losing pressure even when the heating/hot water is not turned on, I topped it up this morning and it has already dropped. Any ideas what can be causing this? We had a leak last year which was fixed and had people come in to check for any other leaks, we have none.
Thanks!
Yasmin
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 month ago.
Have you checked outside? There should be a 15mm copper pipe from the boiler to outside through the wall?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there,Yes, we put a bag over it for a few days, it's dry
Does it stay dry if you top up the system and then put it through a full heat cycle?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe so.
Ok, the leak will be internal then.
Perhaps under a lower floor or in the concrete?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think it's a leak, we had people come check for that and we removed the floor once before. There's no leak anymore. There was one last year and we noticed damage on the walls immediately. The pressure on the boiler did stabilise last winter, now it's dropping again even when we don't turn on the central heating, how is that related to a leak?
The pressure in the system is related to the amount of water, the less water the lower the pressure.