JamesI
JamesI, Electrician
Experience:  James has 7 years expereince managing and support pool plant equipmant for swimming pools.
75967336

Recently fitted a small water feature that has a 230/240 volt

Recently fitted a small water feature that has a 230/240 volt 50 Hz 12 watt motor fed from a Crabtree domestic unit comprising a RCBO B32 30 mA trip. (about 16 years old)
Often on switch off with a single pole MK weather proof switch the trip operates.
Changed motor still same problem.
Would a double pole switch help or a smarter operating switch, the present one may be drawing an arc if slowish in operation.
Any help welcome as wish to control water feature with a timer if possible assuming it does not duplicate the above problem
Bob
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi Bob,

JamesInch :

For most outdoor appliances a double pole switch would be my first thought.

Customer:

Thanks James

JamesInch :

I have recently installed a timer switch, and it has very affective and low cost.

JamesInch :

Let me get the model

Customer:

Thanks James,

JamesInch :

Elkay also do some timers too, never had an issue with any of their products

Customer:

If the double pole doesn't fix the problem is there anything I could do regarding the trip i e change or fit some suppression etc.

JamesInch :

Whats your cable run

JamesInch :

You could look to change the RCBO for a 40mA trip, but that would be my last resort

Customer:

About 20 metre from switch to motor

JamesInch :

So your not talk long then

JamesInch :

*talking

JamesInch :

I often refer most customers to the different artciles found here, this one is probably as comprehensive as you will find.

JamesInch :

A thermo-magnetic breaker might be an option

JamesInch :

All that said I am confident changing the switch will fix your issues.

JamesInch :

In terms of supression, you dont really want to open the casing of the motor if its IP66 rated and its the motor you need to get to, in order to surpress back EMF

JamesInch :

If I were you pick up a new switch from Screw Fix, they are often boxed swap the terminal connections over and test it, if it gives you the same fault return it back to Screw Fix.

JamesInch :

I would appreciate if you could rate my response \ service today, should you need any further clarification please let me know.

JamesI, Electrician
Experience: James has 7 years expereince managing and support pool plant equipmant for swimming pools.