Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

porsche dealership cannot fix my porsche - i regularly have

Customer Question

porsche dealership cannot fix my porsche - i regularly have episodes when i turn the engine on. It fires up for 2 seconds and then turns itself off - this will happen 10 to 15 times in a row and will happen when the car is warm or cold - any ideas?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi plse continue

thanks

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

Let me see if i can help you .

What i need to know first is :

Which Porsche do you have .
How many miles do you have on this car .
Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .
After the ten trys to start, does the car run good with out any problem ..
Does this happen every time you start or only after the car has been off for more than 1hr .
So if you switch off the engine and try to start again less than 5 minutes will it start with out stalling .

Please answer all the question so i can assist you with this issue .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg

answers as follows

Carerra 997 42s cabriolet - purchased new january 2009
miles = 12000
no
usually
only sometimes - can be the frist time I start in a day or after a 5 minute break at a shop - ie it can happen within 5 minutes
wonering if it could be the imobiliser or related to battery in key fob

thanks

regards

richard
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Richard .

Not sure what your Dealer has check, most likely the complete system and also had it on the scan tool and checked all the systems ,but i do know that the coolant sensor on this car is overlooked as on the scan tool it may look okay .

This is a cheap item and worth replacing just to see if this helps .

If this does not work and you still have issues,then you will have to us an other form of fuel delivery like a start helper, sprayed this down the throttle body when trying to start ,and with squirts to keep the engine running ( Experience is need to do this otherwise you will flood and stall the engine ),if the engine does run and not stall then you know you have a fuel issue , if stalls then you have an electrical issue .

This is something the dealer should think of doing if not already tried by them .

Please get back to me with the reply box below if needed .

Kind regards Greg