PorscheDoc
PorscheDoc, Porsche Mechanic
Experience:  Porsche shop owner
14582033

The automatic gearbox on my 928 is losing fluid to the extent

Customer Question

The automatic gearbox on my 928 is losing fluid to the extent that the transmission "slips" and ultimately there is no drive but there is no sign of an external leak. The amount of fluid it is losing should leave a big puddle but there is nothing. Any ideas? Thanks
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.

Did you check the coolant in the radiator ,and the overflow bottle .

The cooling system for this transmission is in the bottom of the radiator and if you are losing Transmission fluid and there is no external leaks, then it has to be leaking in the coolant system.

Drop the bottom radiator hose and let the coolant drain and you may see that a pinkish water will drain out the radiator .

Do this then get back to me ,

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Greg

The car is in the workshop of a Porsche specialist who seem stumped by this problem. Their first thought was the cooling system, but they say they have checked and don't think it's the answer. Like you, I don't know where else it could be going. I'll ask them to check the coolant to make sure it's ok

regards

Neil

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Neil,

How much fluid was it down.

Greg