Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

engine warning light comes on

Customer Question

engine warning light comes on
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Ideally the only way to determine fully in regards to why the malfunction indicator fault warning above as you see has come on - It would most definitely need to be hooked upto a suitable diagnostic machine to interrogate the cars ECU "engine control unit" and determine what and where the actual fault is - the fault warning in its self can cover a huge area of possible causes from one of the many engine sensor(s)wiring / ignition system / fuel injection system / emissions failures - so its very hard at this stage to say exactly what it is for sure that has gone wrong or wether likely serious or not without doing the diagnostic first,if the cars seems to run well at the moment then it cant see it being a serious failure - unless theres a problem on the emissions side. - once the test has been carried out only then can you investigate further based on the results "fault codes" that it actually highlights or shows up to efficiently diagnose further and wether anything needs replaced or not . Very often or be it in your case without any obvious running issues i would assume this will only be the way forward in such cases with these warning messages sadly - so the best option in your case as and when - would be to have the car diagnosed first or plugged in so to speak - which im sure any good local garage/or mobile diagnostic technician with the required equipment that can deal with these cars and then take it from there based on whats found during the test.The car should be safe to drive in the mean time provided it running ok,if not then it wouldn't be advisable until its seen too- but shouldnt be ignored really.If you know of any previous work carried out on the car very recently then it maybe worth having a good look around the engine bay making sure all electrical plugs you can see are properly seated,wiring/battery terminals as such too and any tubes/lines haven't come loose that you can see..if you cant see anything visually then it will need to be ideally scanned next to see what the ecu has picked up on..I do hope this helps..