Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

my key will not go in the ignition on my boxster

Customer Question

my key will not go in the ignition on my boxster i put the new spare in and started the engine but when i want back to start again both keys will not go into the ignition

Category: Porsche
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Are there any warning lights coming on at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike no there are no warning lights on when I put the new key in i pressed the car locking button on the key fob by mistake so the doors locked while I was inside not sure if this is the problem . dave

Ok. What you need to do is disconnect both battery cable ends and leave disconnected for 10 minutes and then insert the key in the ignition and turn to the on position but do not start,leave this way for 5 minutes and then start the vehicle. This should reset the system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike I have got it sorted now frist i had the rac out but he could not sort it then I got a auto locksmith out there was like a little bar just inside the ignition barrel that was stoping the key from going in he give it a good clean with wd40 then put some oil in then the little bar went back in allowing the key to go in . dave

Ok great,that is one of the tumbler pins inside that came out of position. The cleaning does normally help this for a while but because the happened this means that the tumblers are getting worn and in the long run the key cylinder will likely need to be replaced.