350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for the last 22 years
12772297

My Porsche Cayman 2008 design edition 1 engine light just

My Porsche Cayman 2008 design edition 1 engine light just come on and the vehicle started shuddering, what could the problem be?
And would it still be safe to drive?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  350matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection. The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious. as the car is lacking in power then its far better not to drive it until you can get a diagnostic onto it