350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for the last 22 years
12772297

My power steering fluid has run dry, on filling it up

Customer Question

My power steering fluid has run dry, on filling it up there is now a very loud whining noise from the engine and also the steering when I turn the wheel, is it safe to drive to have checked?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd say that the power steering pump has been badly damaged the danger of driving it like this is twofold1st the steering assistance will be very variable as the pump output will be weak so you may go to turn the corner and find the steering effort is suddenly very high2nd if the pump was to seize up then there's a strong chance that it will throw the belt off and so also stop the water pump which will then damage the engine so I'd highly recommend to replace the pump at the earliest opportunity
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you