350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for the last 22 years

Boxster 3.2 s year 2000 has a slight rattle .5secs after

Customer Question

Boxster 3.2 s year 2000 has a slight rattle for 1.5secs after standing for a few hours then runs smoothly good power. Doesn't rattle if warm
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I could send an audio file of the sound
Expert:  350matt replied 4 months ago.

this sounds like it could be a crank big-end shell thats worn and I'd 1st suggest to measure the actual oil pressure with separate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - if you use a Tee piece you can keep the pressure switch plumbed in as well and so see if the low pressure light corresponds to a low pressure reading.

If you do have a low pressure reading and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No oil pressure low light warning - sounds more like the a cam follower. Have decided to change the oil and filter on Monday will report the results.
Expert:  350matt replied 4 months ago.

if the noise is a light tapping from the cam cover then yes its likley to be a sticking tappet

and beofre just replaicng the oil then I'd do an oil flush treatment as this can help loosen any dirt and deposits that prevent the follower from pumping up correctly

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Am waiting for some oil flush so will report results when done.
Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

good luck

Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you