350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for the last 22 years
12772297

I have a 2008 997 career as tip, it's started making a sound

Customer Question

Hi , I have a 2008 997 career as tip , it's started making a sound like a grown when I slow under 30 mph or braking at low speed , it not a brake sound as these were replaced a month ago and the sound started just before that also the noise that your hear from I assume the alternator whine seems to be louder , do you have any ideas please
Anthony
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Anthony,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi no I will have to take the car to the dealer
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

if the noise changes when cornering then its possibly a wheel bearing

you can check this by jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault