350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for the last 22 years
12772297

I have never owned a porsche before but always promised

Customer Question

I have never owned a porsche before but always promised myself one. I have 15k to spend and currently looking at an 06 boxster 3.4s. Are they as good as they sound?!
Category: Porsche
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

What to watch out for on these:

Handbrake prone to jamming on.

Battery charge feeble; goes flat if car not used too much ( needs a run at least every 2 weeks)

Wind deflector flimsy and prone to breaking

As with the earlier 986 Boxster, brake discs prone to rusting if car not used enough, especially the rears.

Not immune from coil spring failure tends to occur around 50K miles

For warranty purposes, Porsche now requires for all new tyres to be stamped with the letter N-0 or any sequence up to N-4 and all tyres should match, not N-2 on front and N-4 on back, for example.

Late model Porsche ECUs record how the car has been used, in particular if it has ever been over-revved. So its very useful to see a readout of an interrogation of the ECU before buying a used Boxster.

they can suffer form bore scoring known problem which will need a complete engine rebuild. Repair bill likely to be £10,000. Might be due to oil surge and oil starvation during hard cornering first seen in the 996 3.4 engine due to being wet sump rather than dry sump. More likely to be due to repeated short runs from cold.

: Catalytic converter cores of 68k mile 2006 Porsche Boxster S reported to have melted due to a fault with the mass airflow sensor affecting the fuel/air mixture and causing it to run over lean and over hot.

Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you