Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

just set it up and trying to print for first time, but every

Customer Question

just set it up and trying to print for first time, but every time i try and print using my wifi it looks like i'm trying to send a fax?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please clarify your problem:
- At what stage of the installation (to print wirelessly) have you arrived at this point? past the end of the install, and the printer unhooked from the computer?

- Where does it indicate trying to send a fax?

I strongly suggest that you double-check as to which 'printer' you have selected. Sometimes a printer model (such as this Canon PIXMA-line printer) installs more than one 'printer [-and fax!]' selection or 'icon', and you may have selected the 'print to fax' selection or icon, instead of the print selection or function.

That is, you need to go to
Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers (or 'Printers and Faxes' in older Windows versions), and check that the big green (or in older ones, big *black*) check-mark is on the printer function icon, rather than on the 'fax' or 'print to fax' function icon. The check-mark signifies the default printer, and the default printer can be re-set from Devices and Printers (or 'Printers and Faxes') if that's the problem.

(Otherwise, the problem would be that you selected the print-to-fax function/icon/selection rather than the printer-as-printing device selection, when you went to print to the wireless printer.)

If the problem is otherwise, I am open to that and have advice to offer on the matter... but I want to make sure that the above-mentioned simple problem, isn't (or, is?...) the problem.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.