Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I PURCHASED A CANNON PIXMA iP4200 SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND HAVE

Customer Question

I PURCHASED A CANNON PIXMA iP4200 SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND HAVE BEEN VERY IMPRESSED WITH ITS PERFORMANCE BUT JUST RECENTLY IT WILL NOT PRINT. ONCE I HAVE SELECTED THE PRINT OPTION THE 'RESUME' BUTTON FLASHES 5 TIMES AND THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE POPS UP: 'OPERATOR ERROR. PRESS PRINTER RESUME BUTTON. IF THIS DOESN'T CLEAR THE ERROR, CANCEL PRINT AND TURN THE PRINTER OFF AND THEN BACK ON.' I HAVE DONE THIS, INCL TURNING THE MAINS SUPPLY OFF, BUT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK . IS THIS A PROBLEM ONLY CORRECTED BY A QUALIFIED SERVICE ENGINEER, OR CAN I ASTOUND MY MORE ASTUTE COMPUTER FRIENDS BY FIXING IT MYSELF? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THE FAULT IS TERMINAL?

MANY THANKS

XXXXX XXXXX
TEL 0113(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Canon,

p0llinate :

there are several possible causes of this error, it may be a simple memory glitch in the printer, a paper jam or faulty cartridge, or it could indeed be a hardware failure.

p0llinate :

Considering this is an 8 year old model, there is a fair chance that it is just age related wear and tear, and is at the end of it's useful life.

p0llinate :

However, there are a few steps we can try here to fix it.

p0llinate :

First please remove all ink cartridges and all paper. Then check the inside printer compartment for any jams or stray bits of paper/debris. Then, with power turned on, unplug power from the printer at the mains, as well as disconnect the usb cable. Then wait at least an hour, replace the paper and ink, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging the cord back into the wall outlet, keep holding another 60 seconds after. Let me know if this reset process helps, or if the same or another error message persists.