Shefin
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I am trying to install a Canon Pixma MG5350 on a Mac, but am

Customer Question

I am trying to install a Canon Pixma MG5350 on a Mac, but am getting error message 306 when I try to print. Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the error message '306' that you are getting, appearing on the printer, or on the computer screen?

What version of MAC OS X is on your Apple computer, please?

And, did you connect the printer to the computer before running the printer's install disc, or after doing so?

Thanks... with the above points of information, I should be able to give you an Answer telling you how to solve the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

306 message is appearing on the computer. It seems to be starting to print, and an 'in progress' message is showing on printer but then nothing happens and the 306 one comes up.

It's 10.7.3 on the Mac.

And I ran the install disc before. It is showing up as installed etc.

Thanks!

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am interested in "It seems to be starting to print", if you don't mind explaining a little more - does the printer make noises or show other signs of responding? aside from the 'in progress' message on it ?

Did you have another printer working on the Mac before this?

And, is your install for wireless connection to the Canon printer, or is the Canon printer wired into your network, or is it wired directly to your computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doesn't always make noise, but several times it has, as if paper is starting to load. But the screen on the printer shows 'processing..please wait momentarily'.

I had a Lexmark printer working before this...have removed it now (I think!) in case it was causing problems.

The printer is wired to my network, I think, but I've been trying lots of things, so not entirely sure. I pressed the code straight into the machine (printer) anyway and it showed as connected

Do you know the printer's IP address, on the network?

What program or programs have you been trying to print from, on the computer?
If anything elaborate, then try printing from a really simple program, such as TextEdit or that sort of plain word processor, after resetting the printing system (ask me if you need to know how to go about doing that.)

Do you have another computer to try the printer out on?

Would you be open to also trying the printer as a directly connected printer, to test whether the printer inherently has a problem? that is, temporarily configuring it as a USB printer directly hooked up to the computer?

Thanks. (I have to confess at this point, that I am somewhat weak at MAC OS X networking, so I may have to cede the case to another Expert here by and by.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I find the IP address on the printer...if so it is 192.168.1.103

I've been trying to print a Word doc, but a text one doesn't work either.

I can try to set up on another laptop, but not till this evening.

Well... I think I should Opt Out, though I recommend (despite a certain seeming waste of time involved) trying to install the printer as a USB-connected / 'local' printer as a test, instead. On your current computer, that is.

I hope the next Expert who takes up this case has better advice for the case. (And no, I haven't cut off communication with you... I have just opened the case to others here for further advice or better advice than mine, if they will offer it.)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. I have now managed to print from my husband's PC - so obviously not a printer problem - but am still not managing to get anything from my Mac. Still showing 306 error

This has been mentioned as a solution for Error 306 on Apple when trying to print:

1. Click the Apple icon in the top left of the screen.
  2. Click System Preferences, then click on Print & Fax.
  3. If the padlock in the bottom left is locked, click on it, enter your password if prompted, and click OK.
  4. Click the – button. to remove the printer, then click on the + button to add it again (leaving the options on default.)

Try that - esp. the step (3). (Aside from step 3 I'm sure you have done this process before.)

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

First, try the following information, and let me know if the issue persists.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Scan from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option (Alt) key on your keyboard while clicking the "-" (minus sign that you see on the print & scan window, not on your keyboard) button. Then, choose Reset Printing System.
  4. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.
  5. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

If you are happy with the response or the issue gets resolved, please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've done all that and it is still saying 'unable to send data to printer' and showing support code 306.

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Please try the instructions below.

2. Click System Preferences.
  3. Click Print & Fax.
  4. If the padlock in the bottom left is locked:
    Click it, enter your password and click OK.
  5. Click the – button. to remove the printer and the + to add it again leaving the options on default..

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, same thing happening no matter how many times I delete the printer and add it again.

And this is all when I am using the USB cable. I can't get the printer to show at all without it...is this normal?

The printer is showing that it is connected to the wireless network.

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Have you tried different type of files and tried printing from different softwares?

S H E F I N
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.
  1. Hi,

2. Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support and remove any Canon folders.
  3. Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Image Capture -> Devices and remove any Canon.
  4. Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences and remove any files containing:
    - Canon folders
  5. Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Printers and remove the Canon folder.
  6. Go to your home folder > Library > Preferences and remove any files containing the following:
    - com.apple.print
    - com.Canon
    - Canon
  7. Go to your home folder > Library > Printers and remove any Canon items.

After doing that, please go to the link given below, download and install the update. Restart the computer after installing the update.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1648

Then, follow the instructions given below.

2. Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key on your keyboard while clicking the "-" (minus sign that you see on the print & scan window, along with a + sign) button. Then, choose Reset Printing System.

Please let me know if the issue persists.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've looked in the library and can't see any Canon files there.

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Have you deleted all others and then, download and install the update?

S H E F I N