Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

canon printer mp640 error code B 200

Customer Question

canon printer mp640 error code B 200
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Canon,

p0llinate :

This error code is specific to a printhead failure.

p0llinate :

This condition is most often the result of an internal hardware failure, which can be either a faulty printhead, or a faulty logic board (which controls the printhead).

p0llinate :

There is also a possibility this is the result of a clogged/contaminated printhead, which is something you can attempt to resolve yourself.

p0llinate :

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

To try manually cleaning the print heads:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing.

You'll remove the cartridges, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the carriage using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well. Not all models will allow for this, if you can't remove it fold up a piece of paper towel in quarters the long way, saturate the middle with alcohol, slide it under the print head, and pick up on the ends while moving up and down to clean it (think of drying your back with a towel).

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs.

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

p0llinate :

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced, or the logic board is bad. In either case, repairs are not generally practical, as the cost of parts and labor to replace the board are going to be well over £250. A new printhead alone (which you could replace yourself) is in the £90 range. As this is a 5 year old model, you'll be better off replacing the printer entirely, as a comparable replacement can be found in the £100 range.