Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Hi, I have an HP PSC 1610 All-in-One Printer which has been

Customer Question

Hi, I have an HP PSC 1610 All-in-One Printer which has been brilliant but is now feeding paper through when I try to print, telling me there is a paper jam. I have checked at the back and there is no jam! I am a pensioner and don't want to have to change to another printer as I'm not sure how to set it up. I have also just purchased 3 double packs of black (338) and colour (343) cartridges from Viking Office Supplies!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try a hard reset of your printer, first:

Turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by suddenly and sharply unplugging it from the power source.
Also unplug it from the computer!
Leave it that way for 10 minutes. (Restart your computer while you are waiting.)
Plug it back in.
Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize.
Try printing again.

If that fails to change or cure the situation, then tell me what Windows type and version (or, if an Apple computer, what MAC OS X version #) you have on your computer, please.
If it is a Windows PC, then please go to

Start - Control Panel - System [Information]

on your PC, and let me know what the Windows type/version now running on your PC is. Also please check for the 'System Type', which should be about half-way down the System info window, and should be either 32-bit or 64-bit. Thanks.

(If an Apple computer, please click on the multicolored apple logo, then choose About This Mac, and read off the 10.X.x MAC OS X version #. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Russell

Thanks for your response.

I went through all the unplugging as suggested but it is still pouring sheet after sheet through; it stops half way through with Paper Jam message so I press OK, knowing there is no jam and it then sends another sheet through with the same result.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer

It is a Microsoft Indows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

All I could find after that is: Dell Dimension DIM3000, Intel (R), Celeron (R), CPU 2.66GHz, 2.66 GHZ, 768 MB of RAM. I couldn't see anything about System type in the window other than that with no mention of bits.

Hope this helps.

OK. I think you should do the following then:

Go to Start - Control Panel - Printers, and double-click on the icon representing your printer (whichever one it is.)
That will open a small window, the queue window, in which the print jobs are displayed. You will need to clear all the jobs out of the queue and empty the window, either one-by-one (selecting each and choosing Documents - 'Cancel') or all at once by doing Printer - 'Cancel All Documents'.

Once the print queue is cleared, you need to try printing again - something simple, and with the queue window still open: Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - Notepad, type in a few words, and choose File - Print to send a simple job to your printer.

Does that (Notepad print) just stick in the queue? then clear it out of the queue (after giving it a minute or two to try to get printed) and let me know what happened. Thanks.

The above may or may not solve your problem - but if it does, it may only solve it temporarily. So this case will need a little more work from this point on regardless of what happens, and I will help you through the rest of it.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.