Engineer John C.
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified and 10 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

We have a Cannon MX890 and its started to print photos with

Customer Question

We have a Cannon MX890 and its started to print photos with too much magenta, is there a simple setting i can adjust?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me several points of information about the printer and its problem:

- How old is the printer?

- What sort of magenta cartridge is in it currently? What magenta cartridge (if a different one or from a different source) was in it when the problem showed up?

- What does a Nozzle Check print show? (let me know if you wish to print such a test page and do not know how to do so, and I will instruct you.)

- What computer (MAC OS X, or Windows) are you printing from, and what program on the printer are you printing from?

-Please try one test at least: take a color original, and do a full-color photocopy of it on the printer (without involving the computer in the least, in other words). Does the color copy have too much magenta in it also? or not? An important point.

With the above-requested information, I should be able to provide an Answer for your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Printer is 11months old
Nozzle print is fine

The computer is an iMac

The colour copy is terrible it has come out just pink and white. Pink where any colour was ( eg blue)

We use a wireless connection and its using its proprietary software for printing
So the nozzle check is OK? did you run it from the printer or from the Mac computer?

I would trust it more if it were run from the printer itself. Here's how to do so:

MENU
...choose Setup (tools icon), press OK.
...choose Maintenance, press OK.
...select Print Nozzle Check Pattern, press OK.
...confirm to print Nozzle Check, press OK.

Should look somewhat like this (with details of portions of the printout):

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

- How does that look, when printed that way?

What is the 'proprietary software for printing' that the printer is rendering these magenta-tinged prints with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did do the nozzle check from the printer

How do I find which software for the printer its all labeled MX890, its the software that came with the printer.

Um... try looking at the top bar on the window on the computer screen, from which you send the print job. That contains the program name, and that program name is what I am looking for, please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sure I am missing the mark but the software that holds the pictures is "iphoto"

Then there are two possibilities:

1. iPhoto is not properly 'color balanced' now for some reason. I judge this unlikely, and it is hardly even possible, *if*:

2. the printer's Nozzle Check pages or its photocopies of color originals come out improperly.
(The puzzling thing in your case is, the photocopies come out badly but the Nozzle Check doesn't... perhaps you have two problems. Or you have a bad printer perhaps, but it is still within Canon's 1-year warranty period. Let me know your thoughts on this, please.)

(And also I need to ask: What cartridges have been used and in use, in the printer? whether they are one brand or another, and what 'number' they are, is what I am asking about.)