Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Hi there, Just looking at taking the cover off a Canon ip7250

Customer Question

Hi there, Just looking at taking the cover off a Canon ip7250 since a cable on the Print Head Carriage has come loose when removing a paper jam. Any pointers on how to proceed?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It is possible that your Canon printer's warranty has been voided by the paper jam (if you were any ways too rough in your approach to removing it or clearing it out.)

But opening the cover will certainly void the warranty on your Canon printer, I would think.

Is the printer less than a year old? if so, I advise you to first ask Canon about whether the warranty coverage is voided, before proceeding to open the cover. (If they say it isn't, ask them whether they will fix the problem for free! if they say 'no', that's information gained on what you have to lose in the situation. And if they say 'yes', there you are with a guaranteed fix for free-of-charge - except perhaps shipping/postage cost.)

As for removing the cover... that's a picky matter that should be taken on with a service manual for this model in-hand to look at first.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the response.

These printers are €50 or so to buy. It would cost me this much in shipping/packaging etc. to deal with a warranty service.

The key question I have is how to approach the removal of the outer case of the printer. I think I made this clear in my question. It does not appear that you know the answer to this.

Perhaps there is a service manual for the printer somewhere. Or perhaps someone can outline the first steps.

On this basis then I don't feel the right answer was given. Would you agree?

Regards,

Marcel.

I guess by your standards, no, I just tried to help but didn't help it seems, Marcel.

I did make an attempt to find a service manual for this model, but did not get any result for my search.

When disassembling an inkjet printer, the first thing to do is to remove the ink cartridges. Do not touch the inky underside, nor the copper-colored contacts on the (usually) back side of the cartridges, at any time.
Set the cartridges on their sides on a fourfold-folded piece of fresh paper towel (to absorb any spilled ink that might ooze off them while they are waiting there.

Then, turn the printer upside down, carefully. (The scanner cover may swing loose, so be sure it is secured... if necessary, tape it down. IF it swings loose, it may break, esp. at the hinges.)

Look at the underside of the printer: are there any screw heads visible? they may be recessed into holes.

I do not know the procedure from here by any means in detail, but if no screw heads are visible, your chances of getting the printer apart without damaging it a lot in the process are very small chances indeed. For it might be snapped together if it's that type, or even glued together! in which case, no chance of getting it apart and together again in one piece.

If there are screws, you unscrew them, put them aside carefully, and try taking the case apart. It may be a clamshell, it may not be the bottom that comes off first, look inside the scanner cover (the inside of the printer basically) to see whether there are screws in there that are large enough and obviously in the case firmly enough that they might hold it together or hold a top portion onto a bottom portion.

Basically, either the top comes off first, or the bottom of the case does. The trick is to find out which, and unfasten every fastener (or screw) before trying to take the printer's outer case apart. If you just use brute force on it when there's one screw still holding it together or the like, you will definitely damage it.

This is why I recommended a service manual. Even a diagram that shows how the covers and major parts fit together can be very helpful. As it is, you are in for a lot of work with this sort of endeavor, without one.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. Feel welcome to stop back anytime to ask any other question you may need to ask an Expert in any one of our numerous categories.

(Your last posting did not get through the system somehow, and came out blank. If it was important or a query to me, please send it or post it through the JustAnswer.com system, again.)