Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

The paper will not feed into my Pixma MP 270. Printing starts,

Customer Question

The paper will not feed into my Pixma MP 270. Printing starts, the first sheet drops to 2 cm or so as normal, but then is not pulled down into the printer as the print heads move across as normal. I can find no foreign object in the paper feeder.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear your'e having trouble with the printer,

Nathan :

typically this issue is either caused by contamination in the printers internal compartment (paper jam, internal debris) or feed rollers OR the feed mechanism (rollers, gears, wheels, motors, belts, etc) are worn, damaged, or faulty.

Nathan :

You can try cleaning the machine up by opening up the internal compartment, blowing everything out with compressed air, and cleaning all of the rubber wheels with ear buds and surgical spirits or warm distilled water.

Nathan :

This issue could also be caused be contamination/build up of dried ink under the printhead, not allowing paper to pass through. You can try cleaning the underside of the printhead with the same method.

If that still doesn't help, you most likely have some bad rollers (or a bad printhead), which would need to be replaced.

Nathan :

If that becomes necessary, the printer would need to go in for service, as the rollers are not user replaceable. The print head is something you could replace, but in either case, unless you happen to be within the 1 year warranty period, the cost of parts/labor to fix this, if the initial cleaning steps don't help, are going to be more than the printer is worth. You could buy a new machine for less than the cost of repairs.