Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

I have a Google ChromeBOX and have purchased a Canon MG3550

Customer Question

I have a Google ChromeBOX and have purchased a Canon MG3550 which is "Google Cloud Print Ready" but I now learn will "only support Windows or Mac". Ideally I would prefer a mono laser printer (for home use) but would happily settle for an inkjet if necessary.

Please, where do I go from here?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

you will need to print via the Windows computer (so this is on, but you print via the Chromebook).

Once you have connected the printer via USB to the windows computer, follow these steps to set it up for cloud printing.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1069693?hl=en

Once this is completed, you can then add the printer on the Chromebook to use it.

remember, the windows computer will always need to be running.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already know that I can do that. How can I connect a printer directly to my router that will receive items for print WITHOUT going via another computer?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You cannot sorry David.

You need to have a printer that is Cloud Ready,

The MG3550 is not sorry.

Here is a list of all printers that are

http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers.html#info-canon

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Packaging for the MG3550 is right in front of me. It says Google Cloud print ready! All I want to do is couple it with a Chrome OS device DIRECTLY. Either that or another printer that will talk with Chrome OS. The link you gave is no help at all - I have spent hours there

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Anyone of the printers in the link I gave you will print directly from the Chromebook. Thats why I gave the link.

Your's is not listed, but if you are saying it is Cloud Ready, then you connect it to the Chromebook and follow the instructions here to install it.

http://printerthinker.com/google-cloud-print/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First, I am talking about a ChromeBOX, as I said at outset, not a Chromebook. And I repeat the printer packaging says the MG3550 is Google Cloud Print Ready. But setup is apparently only possible with Windows or Mac, therefore not with Chrome OS. That is my problem.

I also repeat, I know I can print via another computer. But I don't want ongoing dependence on an old machine taking up desk space. Can you provide a solution or not?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I will opt out for another expert.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I am here awaiting further input.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have now been waiting for approx 70 minutes.

When do I get the help that has been promised?????????

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
When an expert has taken up your case.

I cannot give an ETA on this sorry.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question. My name is Sowrav and I will try to help you today.

I am extremely sorry for the inconvinience, first "Chrombox" or "Chrombook" are model names, both uses Google Chrome OS, so there is no basic difference in them. Now, your printer is "Google Cloud Print Ready" printer, that means you can print dirctly from your chrombox laptop, but not through the router, instead of that you can print from any laptop, which can access Internet. First, you have to configure the printer to enable the "Google Cloud Print Ready" feature, you can do that, following the instructions below from Canon. Then use the instructions to print from the chrombox, let me know after that, if you face any problem.

What to do - Outline -

You need to perform the following to use your Canon printer for Google Cloud Print:

1. Prepare the following:
a) Google account information (Your e-mail address and password to log in Google.)
b) Printer Supporting Google Cloud Print
c) PC, smartphone, or other types of PDA connected to the Internet
d) One sheet of A4 plain paper

2. Check the printer connection environment.
The printer needs to be connected to the Internet via an access point or router.

3. Register the printer to Google Cloud Print.

Preparing the items required

To use the printer for Google Cloud Print, you need to register the printer to Google Cloud Print.
Prepare the following:

a) Google account information
Your e-mail (Gmail) address and password to log in to Google.
If you do not have them, you have to create your own account.
To create an account, access to the Google Accounts page, or click [CREATE AN ACCOUNT] in the upper right corner of the Gmail: Email from Google (Google log-in) page.

ATTENTION

The pages you will see may differ from the ones given below.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

b) Printer

c) PC, smartphone, or other types of PDA
The PC, Smartphone, or other types of PDA needs to be connected to the Internet (including via the 3G line).

d) One sheet of A4 plain paper

Checking the printer connection environment

To use the printer for Google Cloud Print, the printer needs to be connected to the Internet.
Confirm that the printer is connected to an access point or router, and that the access point or router is connected to the Internet.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

ATTENTION

If the printer is not connected to the access point or router, download the manual [ Guide for Printer Setup for Network ] (PDF) from the Canon download site, and follow the instructions to establish the connection.

* To use those services on the intranet, open Port 5222 (both on the PCs and the intranet).

Registering the printer to Google Cloud Print

Follow the procedures below to register the printer to Google Cloud Print.

1. Check that the printer is turned on.

2. Load one sheet of A4 size or Letter size plain paper.

3. Press and hold the Stop button until the Alarm lamp blinks 15 times, then release the button.
Printing of the network setup information starts.

REFERENCE

This printout is used later in the registration process.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

4. Open the web browser of your PC, smartphone, or other types of PDA. In the address entry box of the browser, enter the text that you see on the printout in the "IPv4 IP Address" line.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

For example, with the printout shown above, enter "http://192.168.11.3" in the box.

5. The Remote UI starts and the top window is displayed.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

6. Select [ Google Cloud Print setup ] -> [ Register with Google Cloud Print ].

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

7. When the confirmation screen to register the printer is displayed, select [ Yes ].

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

8. In the print setup for Google Cloud Print, select the display language, and then select Authentication.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

9. The log-in page for Google Clout Print will open in the web browser. Enter your account information you prepared in the step [ Preparing the items required ], and click Sign in.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

10. The printer confirmation page will be displayed. Click the button to complete registration of the printer.

11. In the Remote UI, confirm that "Registration with Google cloud Print completed" is displayed, and select [ OK ].

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

ATTENTION

The printer name displayed is used to print in Google Cloud Print.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

The printer is properly registered to Google Cloud Print.

Once Google Chrome is installed, follow the steps below to enable the Google Cloud Print connector in Google Chrome.

1. Log in to your user account on the Windows or Mac computer.
  2. Open Google Chrome.
  3. Click the Chrome menu

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    on the browser toolbar.
  4. Select Settings.
  5. Click Show advanced settings.
  6. Scroll down to the “Google Cloud Print” section. Click Add printers.
  7. If prompted, sign in with your Google Account.
  8. If you signed up for 2-step verification, you need to enter an application-specific password instead of your Google Account password. You can generate the application-specific password on your Authorizing applications and sites page.

9. Select the printers you want to connect, and then click Add printer(s).

The printer is now associated with your Google Account and connected to Google Cloud Print. You can print to this printer whenever you’re signed in with the same Google Account on your Chromebook. Want to try it now? Print a Test Page

Please press the Accept Button(and the Smiley Face if prompted ) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you any more, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don’t leave negative feedback, If something isn’t working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
I can see that, you have seen my answer and did not replied back after that, do you still need help on this issue ?