Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

canon pixma 5450

Customer Question

I have a canon pixma 5450 which keeps displaying error code 1312 - paper jam. There is no paper jam but I cannot clear the error code. Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name isXXXXX will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does paper even feed into the MG5450 printer at all? or does it just sit in the paper tray or paper source?

The error code you are citing is appropriate to a jam "in a lower paper tray", so it might be a matter of paper simply never feeding into the printer.

If the paper is partially fed into the printer from the lower paper tray, then that is a different sort of problem with a different solution. Please tell me which description matches your case, and I will recommend the appropriate course of action.

Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To be honest (and probably not your fault) I think this 'just answer' service is a waste of money.

I needed help last night and only agreed to the fee because the website said someone was there to answer my question within nine seconds not an hour and a half later. I had to scan in consent forms forms for my husband's chemo therapy today so ended going to a neighbour to do it.

I have to confess to a degree of frustration at your response - did you even read what I wrote. There is absolutely no paper jam in the machine. I've virtually taken the whole thing apart. I've cleared the trays, put new paper in, checked the back the front under print cartridges everything but I cannot clear the error code and as a result it wont print or scan.

Angela XXXXXXX

I think I will be able to justify the payment for my services.

You have described (and thank you for the reply and the information in it!...) a typical case of 'printer is not picking up paper from the tray'.

This is often to be treated, and fixed, as follows:

Remove the paper tray, and set it aside.
Take a clean, high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol solution; reaching into the machine where the paper tray used to be, rub the rubber or plastic paper pickup rollers (that swiff the paper off the top of the paper stack and into the machine) all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

Then allow 5 minutes for drying time, then put the paper tray back into the printer, and try to get it to feed paper through it and function normally.

With this treatment, such 'phantom paper jam message' cases are very often cured.

Let me know how it goes, please. I may have other suggestions to offer for your problem.

(If the problem should come to be cured by this means, please rate my Answer then - hopefully, favorably! - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks.)