Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Canon MP610 printer - recently started printing pale green

Customer Question

Canon MP610 printer - recently started printing pale green bands on top of prints. Have done deep clean, all cartridges are full. Have done test nozzle print which comes out fine.
Have done auto head alignment.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Have you already tried manually cleaning the machine?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - how do I do that? But I have done a test nozzle print after deep cleaning and that printed perfectly.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Freddy - did all that and the unwanted effect is exactly the same

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Is it only happening when you print from a specific program?
For example if you print this page does it happen?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have just printed this page and it has printed perfectly. Have been printing un-successfully with Word and I-tunes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
What version of windows or mac are you using?
With word normally I would think it was a normal.dot template issue but since it is more than one program it could be a driver issue.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a Power Mac G4 (double mirror doors)! - running OSX 10.4.11

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Uninstall the printer from your mac.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the mac.
(if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the machine.

Only connect the usb cable when the mac asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not totally sure how to uninstall/ reinstall - could you elaborate?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Open system preferences and then printers.
To remove the printer you would click on it and then the small minus symbol.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok - and then use original disc to re-install?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Yes please.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok -will have to try this later and I will get back to you. Many thanks.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello - Am I through to Freddy?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Yes, were you able to try what I gave you?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Uninstalled printer and completed steps you suggested - no joy! - printing results still the same

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok I am unsure of what could cause this on only two programs so I will opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if it's only two programs - just two discovered so far

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please - I still have the problem. I'm hoping that having paid £15 as requested that I might get a solution to my problem. I work long hours so might not respond for a short while if you reply.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for replying.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam

Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
I think the previous Expert who was helping you has covered a lot of ground on the problem rather well... but there are still some points to clear up, so please inform me:

- what orientation are the pale green bands over the printout?

- And, I presume the printouts that it shows up on, are full-color prints... is that the case?

- And, when you print only-text (e.g. a text-mainly or text-only web page like ours) from Internet Explorer (or Safari perhaps, or Firefox possibly?) do the greenish bands show up at all?

- Your printer is a photo printer - do the bands show up only on photo prints (in full color... you could test this by printing out a small black-and-white or grayscale image) ?

- Lastly, is the set of functions the driver installation for this printer model provides, obviously working in your Mac computer's setup or settings for this printer model?

Thanks... I have a possible solution in mind. Let me know as to the above points, and I will be able to offer the solution based upon what data you provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Russell - thank you for your reply - I was working late hence delayed response.

The bands are parallel to the short side of A4 paper.

Text only (any colour) seems to print perfectly.

When printing black and white image faint bands are still present, although image seems to have a slight cast to it - not truly black and

white.

I don't understand your last question re. driver printers?

Hope you can help, many thanks, John.

Thank you for the information.

I will explain further, later on.

You have mentioned that the problem tends to occur when printing from iTunes and when printing from MS Word. Have you observed any other program producing the problem? did you print the black-and-white image that you mentioned had an odd cast on it, with one of those two programs?

Another important point: have you been using Canon OEM original cartridges, or have you been using refills/remanufactured/'compatible' cartridges?

And, how old is the printer, please? measured from its date of purchase.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. The problem seems to be present when printing with all programs - clear text (any colour) prints perfectly but images have these bands. The black and white image was a google image printed with Safari.

When I carried out deep cleaning and did a nozzle check print, this too printed perfectly and also a head alignment print came out perfectly - as you know theses are a series of coloured blocks.

The cartridges are not Canon, but from a reputable supplier and I have used them successfully in the past.

The printer is about 4-5 years old but has had a fairly easy life and has been well cared for.

I think deep cleaning and head alignment help with this sort of problem.

But, given that the color bands are associated with the use of non-Canon cartridges, I would advise, after trying several head alignments and deep cleaning cycles, that after that, if the color bands persist or recur, you might well consider using true Canon-OEM-original cartridges. You may find better quality results as a result.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm slightly confused - when you first came on line you said you thought you had a solution to the problem -you haven't mentioned that. I have already done deep cleaning and head alignment right at the start but with no improvement. Surely if the colour print on the nozzle check and head alignment is perfect, then it's unlikely to be the cartridges?

Those are good points.

(As for my seeming to be oriented one way toward the problem at first... I confess that I work on many cases, and this one has stretched over 2 days so far, for me. So sometimes my focus and attitude may change slightly.)

As for the solution: at this point it isn't quite clear to me yet.

The point about the nozzle check print being perfect (- is it? do the color bands on the nozzle check print look perfect? or are there any color bands in the nozzle check print from this printer model? if there are prolonged color bands, that would be more indicative than the 'spotty' print some Canon printers produce as a nozzle check page...) is a good one - as far as it goes.

And yes, looking it up, this printer does a checkerboard on the black ink, but distinct and prolonged bands on the colors. So if the colors are even on the nozzle check print (even on careful examination) then you may have a problem on the computer.

What computer problem this could be, though, is a puzzle at this point. Computer problems producing banded prints are, to put it bluntly, so new to me that I can't think what could produce them. Perhaps a defective USB port? try another USB port, and also try another USB cable (if the shield on the cable were not good, then signals/noise might possibly intrude and alter the colors ordered from the computer, or something... though I doubt it.)

How about other factors? When the printer has been at rest or idle for a while, and has been On but not printing anything, then does the first print come out more perfect than subsequent prints in succession? This sort of problem would not show up in *one* nozzle check printout, but might show up in the second or third in succession, so I think three nozzle check prints in a row should be made and compared, if you don't mind trying this.