Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Pixma MP282. It prints lettering OK but everything

Customer Question

I have a Pixma MP282. It prints lettering OK but everything with a semblance of a
diagram or picture is printed solid black.
For example, this page, when printed, has solid black at top left over Just Answer.
It has solid black over "Get an Answer" etc
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Have you already tried cleaning the machine?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not the machine itself. How do I do this?

Or do you mean the print head. Again, How doI do this?

And why does it print letters, text etc OK but n ot diagrams?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
From what you are describing it sounds like the print heads nozzle is clogged or worn.
If it is clogged cleaning it can get it to work, if it does not the print head usually needs to be replaced.

The print head has separate nozzles for each cartridge that's why it can print black but not color for example when a nozzle wears down.
Unfortunately the print head is a solid piece so you can not replace just the color nozzle you need to replace the entire print head.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did as you suggested. Then printed page withg our dialogue.

Regret to say "SMS Text Alerts" was solid black.

Your picture was solid black as was "Years of experience"

The other pictures of you down the left hand side were also black.

Hence no step forward.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Darn I was afraid of that and the pictures not coming out at all confirms it is the colour nozzle. The next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Canon but it works with all brands as all kits come with the same thing just in case you ever need to use it with another machine and have some left over. It comes with solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between €55 and €80. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between €50 and €55 per hour. I would call around for a price though as some shops will sell a used print head removed from a unit that had a failed main board etc.

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I clearly haven't explained the problem very clearly.

If yu look at the record of my conversation with you, you will see that

"I have a Pixma 282 etc is in blue" This prints in blue.

"Ask a printers question ....etc" is in orange. This prints in orange.

"Just Answer etc" at top of page is a diagram - this prints total black

However the word Printers alongside on right, prints clearly.

Go to RHS SMS Text Alerts in blue is OK

Your expert in black is OK

Freddy M in blue, Technician, Satisfied Customers in blue is OK

Number 44 in blue is OK

BUT the three blocks associated with these are solid.

Need I go on?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Can you scan a copy and send me the scan?
From what you just sent me the problem still sounds like a failing print head.
Sending me a scan of what you get would tell me 100% if that is indeed the issue or not which right now from everything you told me is indeed the problem.

You can upload the image to this site: Click Here
Once you have it will give you a url/link please give me that so I can access the image.
You can also email it to [email protected] but that can take hours and sometimes up to a day to get to me.
.