Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I am experiencing a printer problem. When I first boot my PC

I am experiencing a printer problem. When I first boot my PC I can only send one document to my Lexmark S405 printer, all other documents sent, whether from word, excel, firefox or any other application, end up staying in the spooler queue and only going to the printer when I restart my PC. This is causing problems. I have been looking on the Internet for solutions. I have tried many, but none seem to be working. I have stopped and started the print service, cleared the files from the spool folder, but still no joy.

I am running windows 7 with 4Gb Ram and plenty of disc space. The link to my printer is via USB but I also can use a wireless connection, but get the same problem on both connections.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Click on the windows start button and in the search box type printers and press enter.
(if there is not search box click on control panel and then printers)

Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer.
(if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the machine.

Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is one of the options I have already tried, am still experiencing the problem.

Brian

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Can you test it with another computer and see if the same thing happens?
When you tried this did you do it exactly the way I mentioned? Not restarting either of the two times for example can make it retain old files.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

Yes exactly as you stated.

I connect to the same printer with my laptop, via wireless, it works fine. My wife also connects via wireless to it and has no problems.

Brian

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok that would mean the issue is caused by the computer then.
When you stopped the spooler did you also delete anything inside the system folders?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I deleted the files in the spool folder, the files waiting to be printed. I have also taken ownership of the spoolsv.exe file in the system32 folder.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok can you create a new user on that computer please.
Then test the printer using the new user account, this will tell us if the profile is corrupted causing the issue or not.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have created a new account, a standard account.

My account is as administrator.

The same thing happens with the new profile. Prints first doc, but then queues the next and holds it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Is the printer connected directly to this computer with usb or networked?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

USB

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok you mentioned it is connected to other computers as well though.
So is the usb cable directly connected to this computer, or to a router etc and then networked?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

USB direct to computer, others all connect via my broadband router wirelessly.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
It seemed like it could have been an IP conflict but that is unlikely with usb.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Printer wireless connection is with a fixed ip address.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

I have completely uninstall the printer. Shut down and restarted PC between processes. Then reinstalled printer. Had problems getting it to work with USB. But have now a successful instal using a wireless connection. Have done test prints and all seems to be working OK now, print after print.

I will work on USB fault to see if I can get to the bottom of that one.

Many thanks for your help earlier. If you have any thoughts on the USB fault I would appreciate any comments.

Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Does this is occur if you connect the printer to the other computer with the usb printer cable? Do you have another usb printer cable to try?

Can you try this: click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Universal serial bus controllers, and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't delete the driver when prompted). Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall, then check.

If needed, please download and run the automatic printing fix at the website:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/printing_problems/

If needed, download and install the CCleaner software at the website:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner
; click on "Download Latest Version" on the right
, then open it and run both the Cleaner and Registry options.
, then restart the computer and check.

Please let me know. Thank you,