Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

How do I print photos from my lap top to my new hp photosmart

Customer Question

How do I print photos from my lap top to my new hp photosmart 6520. I have connected it all up but it ask for memory card or snapfish. do I need one of these
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

You need to install the printer on the computer (the memory card is for direct printing).

Connect the printer to your computer via a USB cable (it should have come with it).

Once done, insert the Disk that came with the printer and run the installation.

Once installed, you then open a photo on your computer and printer from there to the printer.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a wireless printer so no usb. I have connected to my laptop but when I press print in my photos nothing happens

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You need to install it first Judith, and that needs to be done over the USB, then it runs via the wireless.

Connect the printer via the USB cable and run the installation.

you will see as one of the steps, to connect it to your wireless network.

Once you have completed the installation, and it is connected to your wireless, you can then disconnect the cable and print to it.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I have no usb cable to hand. non with printer. am I able to come back to u at a later time or do I have to pay again

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You can come back at any time Judith, you do not need to pay again.

You need to run the installation, this is why you cannot yet print.

Once the installation is run, then printer is installed on the computer and communication can then occur. You are then able to print. You just need the cable to perform the installation (after that it runs wirelessly) then you are ok.

But I have marked this question to never close, so you can return here anytime if you have problems.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am I also able to connect to my ipad?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, as first the printer needs to be installed and connected on the wireless network Judith.

This is the first step before you can do anything.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well actually I have just connected and printed from my ipad ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You are printing direct to the printer, using its inbuilt wireless.

It is not on the wireless network Judith, and you need to do this by running the installation I am repeatedly telling you.

I am not sure what more you want me to say?

You need to INSTALL the printer on your COMPUTER and CONNECT it to the WIRELESS.

You NEED the Cable to do this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I am not a computer wizard in any degree, but if I can print from my ipad until I get a usb cable its not a prob. Thanks for your help. I may have to come back to you

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I understand, I just want to make it clear what you need to do to print from the computer.

The ipad uses wifi direct (a feature of the printer) but computers cannot.

This is why you need to run the installation on the computer, to connect the printer to the wireless.

Once this is done, the iPad can also print via the wireless network (currently it is using wifi direct).

that is all you will need to do Judith to get the printer running.

Like I said, I have marked this question to never close, so no rush on returning here if you have any issues at all.