Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My MP600 went to Japanese(?) language after a power cut-I CANNOT

Customer Question

My MP600 went to Japanese(?) language after a power cut-I CANNOT select "HOME" to change language
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Select the icon that looks like a pair of pliers and a screw driver from the home screen.

Press the "ok" on the right icon (the one with the two sliders).
Select the 5th option on the list, which is the language selection.

The first choice is English. Once selected, your menu should return to normal.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already said that NO buttons respond....

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I did not get that until just now.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then with it unplugged hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
Plug it back in and then try those steps again please.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still the same..

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok you may already be on the home screen.
If you try to follow the rest of the steps from the screen you are on does anything respond?
Are you sure it is in Japanese and the screen is not showing some sort of error symptom?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing happens...the only button that works is the "OK"... at the top of the screen on a red background is what looks like I5- below is japanese (or similar) with the "OK" sign in the middle of the text

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok.... I'll wait......

Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I strongly suspect, from the description of symptoms that you have given, that your printer, when the power failed, took a power surge which damaged it and disabled its normal functions.
Please inform me whether the printer was plugged directly into a wall outlet / power mains, or if it was powered through a power strip with surge protection features at very least.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Powered through a mains extension-no surge protection.. oops!

Well, then, that makes my diagnosis kind of final: Your printer has been 'broken' by the power failure and accompanying surge, plus the lack of any surge protection.

All electronic devices need surge protection, that is not provided by their power adapters. And having a surge protector for every electronic device of any value that you power from the wall outlet - including not just your computer, but all associated equipment - is a policy and investment that *always* pays off in the long run.

The only thing to be tried for your printer - which is now giving you some Japanese (I don't doubt that part of your account at all) in point of telling you, in circuitry-designer terms, what is now wrong with it. And evidently it is so severe that just OK-ing the notice isn't enough to fix it - the only thing left to try for your printer aside from having it repaired (or recycled and replaced), is to unplug it and leave it that way overnight, then plug it in, and see whether (without connecting it to anything else) it can initialize and basically function.

Let me know what you think... or if you try that procedure, what happens if anything. I will have more advice after that I think. Thanks.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russell, I think you're right, as the fault happened after the power-cut (and possible surge)

And, of course, you are right that these electronics DO need protection from surges - a costly lesson for me!

I will power it down, and leave it overnight, with fingers crossed!!!

I will let you know the result.

Thanks for your time & help.

OK. I'm glad you're accepting the facts (as I see them, anyway) on this case - thanks for your intellectual honesty.

I'll be pleased to hear what comes of it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - time to get behind my bar & serve some drinks (a large one for me!!)

Mal

Landlord

The Brownlow Arms

High Marnham

Nottinghamshire

England

Thank you, sir, for letting me know, and for bringing your question to us here at JustAnswer.com.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I left it switched off overnight, powered up - just japanese! So... my wife had a go....apparently pressed the 'copy' button, and it did !! so went through the process to change the language... and it is now working!!!

Wohooooooooooooooooo

I am glad to hear that there was a good outcome, better than what I had supposed.