Engineer John C.
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified and 10 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Pixma printer help

Customer Question

Hi, I have a pixma 3100 printer and I am trying to print some photographs from my computer but it keeps coming up with error 2 and sometimes a 7 or an F, what is wrong and what do I need to do to fix it? It also has an orange triangle lit up.

This is not a digital camera, just a printer.

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Please give me the exact error that shows in the order it shows on the machine.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It shows an orange triangle and flashes with an E and then a 2

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
There should be 3 total digits for example E02 or E12 what is your machine showing?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It only has one digit showing at a time, either the E which indicates and error and then the 2 and then back to the E and so on. Sometimes the error number is a 7 but most frequently is a 2

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is an orange triangle which is to the left of the number when it is highlighted.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Press the black button or the color button on the machine does the error go away?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, it doesn't respond to anything

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off, you may have to unplug it to get it to turn off.
Then watch turn it back on and watch the control panel to see what the error is.
Let me know if the error changes at all.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already done all that earlier today and yesterday. It prints the first photograph once and then each time I have unplugged it or turned off and then on again, it prints the same picture another 2 times. I am not actually using it just now as I gave up trying. It is always with trying to print a 2nd photo that the error comes up so even if I use it now, the first one will be okay.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

am trying it now

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I just want you to do it so it gives a fresh error that way we can be sure what it is.
As I mentioned this machine has 3 digit errors, so E,2 does not tell us anything.
We need other other number to know where the problem is. Let me know what you find.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It flashes E02 and prints the same photo twice, one on two different pages of paper, photo or normal.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok E,0,2 means it thinks it is out of paper.
Remove all paper from the machine and then load some only into the front tray.

Make sure it is flush against the back of the tray.
Then press the black, color, and stop buttons.
Does anything change when you do this?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done this and it is ok until I try to print another photo and goes through it all again. It still wants to print multiple copies of the same photo. There is only a front tray on this printer so there is no mix up in where it is printing from.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Are you using the same type of paper for photos, is it the same size?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, it is all from the same pack of photo paper

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I meant is it the same size as when you use normal paper to print text?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it is

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok this error can also mean the machine is not able to feed the paper.
Remove all the paper and look inside with a flashlight to make sure nothing is jammed.
Look in the paper feed area, as well as inside around the cartridges.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am unable to that just now, I would need to have someone with me due to my mobility restrictions.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok you can get back to me any time by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top.
A small piece of paper jammed inside can cause this, sometimes it is very hard to see so it is best to use a flashlight.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I will try and have it looked at tomorrow, thank you

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome.
.