Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

mp250 printing in green and not black after printing a web

mp250 printing in green and not black after printing a web page with quite a lot of green.
Colour cartridge is indicated empty
Black cartridge is indicated third full.
removing black cartridge and replacing it (not renewing) still printed green and the indicator showed it as full
Help would be appreciated XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Have you already tried cleaning the machine?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

No, I have not tried cleaning and

I assume instructions are in manual.

Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
For a software cleaning yes they would be and I would suggest running that once, however after that let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddie- sorry for an unavoidable delay in carrying out your advice

however I must point out that I am 85 years old. and my technical expertese in such matters is of a low rating so please have patience.

I removed both cartridges and cleaned the contacts as suggested on catridges and machine. I clicked onto the manual to find when I should replace them but noted that under troubleshooting there there was a cleaning system. I followed the procedure and a further

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed both cartridges and cleaned the contacts as suggested on catridges and machine. I clicked onto the manual to find when I should replace them but noted that under troubleshooting there there was a cleaning system. I followed the procedure and a further trial was

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I apologize but it seems your reply got cut off at "was a cleaning system. I followed the procedure and a further" I have nothing after that.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Freddie-- to continue-- printing trial was, sadly, still green

Sorry to be so ignorant in the matter

Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Don't worry if you get stuck just let me know, and you can take all the time you need.
Let's make sure it is not the document, can you print this page and let me know how it comes out?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddie= printed the page but still green

Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok please test a photo copy does that come out green?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi freddie

photo print is all shades of green !

Ink indicator is showing full for black and I know it`s not.

colour shows emptywhich is correct

Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again sorry for delay in replying. My printer is a Pixma MP250 with 2 FINE cartridges and bears little likeness to the one shown on the video.The cartridge carrier stops at the centre and when they i.e. the cartridges, are removed there is no lifting bar for the print head.

The manual refers to inside cleaning to remove ink from the cartridge locking cover and the "tray" which is to the front of the machine and contaifs a number of square details which look like contact blocks.

Hope you can enlighten me.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Unfortunately if you can not remove it, the next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but it works with all brands as all kits come with the same thing. It comes with solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head assembly in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have
posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head assembly normally costs between $60/£50 and $80/£70. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between $65/£50 and $75/£65 per hour. You can get the same machine for around £50 however here: Click Here The updated mg2250 model being yet £10 cheaper than that.

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy After my last reply to you I replaced the cartridges and a trial print came out black but, sadly , the next was green Any clues.?

I am surprised that you did not comment on the fact that you were not actually advising on the same model as mine. ! Your video showing how to change the printhead was a waste of time. Are you now saying that I am unable to deep clean on my model ?

If I chose the syringe approach would you be able to give instructions to suit my model

Regards Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

.
That video works on your model as well. And the syringe is an alternative method for people who are not able to get the print head out. The syringe is pretty easy to use, you insert it into the nozzle and then send the cleaning solution through. It is done the same way on every model inkjet printer with a small exception on specific Epson printers:

http://oi42.tinypic.com/w8nvxh.jpg

The image above and the video were to use as a reference, I do not currently have your model to take apart in order to make a video or images for it. If I had one I would but I currently only have an MX320 and an MG5550 I could do that to. The steps would be the same but they would not "look" like your machine even though doing it uses exactly the same steps. So once again it was for your and all Canon models within the MP, MX, and MG series range model numbers.

So you would be doing a manual deep cleaning using a syringe instead since you could not remove the print head. If it fails your only option is to replace the print head. A new print head assembly normally costs between $60/£50 and $80/£70. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between $65/£50 and $75/£65 per hour. You can get the same machine for around £50 however here: Click Here The updated mg2250 model being yet £10 cheaper than that.

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement.If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

I have replayed the video again and cannot relate it to my printer (PixmaMP250-two cartridges only 1-black and 1 colour) When opened the cartridge carrier moves to the centre then removing the two cartridges there is no lifting frame nor can the head be seen only the multi contacts are visible. There is no view of the head which is easily visible in the video.

I am confused, please reconsider your reply,

Regards Peter

ps Ireplaced the black cartridge with a new one but without success.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

.
Is there anyway you can take a picture of your print head for me?
Canon uses a few different kinds of print heads but all mp and mx series machines are supposed to have those.
It is possible you have one of the other types though technically it should not. The rest of my answer however would still be the same regardless of which type print head the machine itself has.
.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Freddy

will take pictures of open machine for you

and send them. ? e-mail address

Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You can upload them to tinypic.com and then send me the share url.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Freddy pics sent as requested one with Cartridges in place then a second with cartridges removed

Hope this helps

Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You would need to send me the share url, I can not get to them without that.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Freddy

sorry you did not get the two pictures

I have the two pictures on "my home and "my stuff" pages on tinypics site but cannot see "share url " but there is a toolbox section with a box

headed "url for e mail & IM.

As I said earlier my expertese is fairly low.'

Would you please point me in the right direction so that you receive the two pictures

Thanks .. Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
When you open one of the picturesit will give you this: http://oi57.tinypic.com/28ivibc.jpg

I need either of those two links boxed in red.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy Have attempted to get the pictures to you without success

the boxes came up alright but they were all occupied and I could not clear any one of them to enter the code you gave in the last reply.

where have I gone wrong ?

Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

.
They are not supposed to clear, the codes in them are what you need to give me so I can get to the picture you uploaded. As I mentioned before though even if you have a carriage assembly rather than a removable print head, everything else in my answer other than removing it would still be the same. I was able to get a hold of a machine in your series and it indeed does have a carriage assembly so the print head is not removable it is a fixed unit. Unfortunately that means option is to replace the print head carriage assembly. A new print head assembly normally costs between $60/£50 and $80/£70. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between $65/£50 and $75/£65 per hour. Since it is a fixed unit it can only be replaced by a technician. You can get the same machine for around £50 however here: Click Here The updated mg2250 model being yet £10 cheaper than that.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

Pity you didn`t realise that my model of printer did not have a print head

that could not be removed from the start of the many messages that have passed between us !!!

However,thanks your responses and I have looked at some new ones today.

`Bye Peter

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
It does have a print head but it is a a carriage assembly rather than a removable print head meaning that it is fixed into the machine. If you would like me to I would be happy to help you find a replacement.If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience