Engineer John C.
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified and 10 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an Epson Stylus Office BX305 FW printer. The power

Customer Question

I have an Epson Stylus Office BX305 FW printer.
The power supply and the fuse in the power plug is fine but suddenly the printer will not power up. Is there an inline fuse inside the printer, or what might the problem be, I hope you can help.

Kevin Kennedy
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is Michelle and I will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

These printers dont have fuse like protection as its not required because the printer has a smps which doesn't need fuse protections smps itself it a power unit safety device which regulates input power and sends the correct amount of converted dc voltage to the printers main board to operate further.

Michelle :

SMPS is called switching mode power supply which has no fuse in it however if the printer is not powering on that means the printers smps or the power supply unit it bad which requires a repair or replacement,

JACUSTOMER-sh88ny6h- :

What else is the problem

Michelle :

The problem could only be diagnosed further when the power supply is good then it will turn the power on

Michelle :

how old is the printer?

JACUSTOMER-sh88ny6h- :

I have checked the power supply as I have already said and it is fine

Michelle :

do you get dc output voltage which connects to the main logic board of the printer?

JACUSTOMER-sh88ny6h- :

I am not a technician so all i know is that the power supply into the the printer is good. I want to know is there some other problems that I can look for.

Michelle :

no i am sorry if you not a technician then cannot suggest you to check the logic board for further fault as there are chance of shock hazard. I would suggest you to check the repair cost or opt for a new printer if the repair cost is close to a price of a new printer.

JACUSTOMER-sh88ny6h- :

Thank you. I do not feel that the level of assistance given in this instance warrants the charge of €24.00.

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking.

Michelle :

In hardware issues we dont guide regular users to follow technician like steps due to shock hazard and that too would need voltmeter and other devices.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

We would need to check inside the printer for a blown capacitator or any damage to the mainboard.

Opening it though will void the warranty, so first, is there a warranty still valid for this printer? As I do not want you to void this.

Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I could have got the information on the internal fuse from several sources at no cost to me so if that is the level of support you can offer I find it a very poor service indeed, you should have said at the outset that you would be unlikely to have been able to resolve my problem and cancelled without charge

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I have said nothing like that.

I am a different expert to your previous one.

Can you review my last message please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no warranty on the Printer

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so you are ok to open it up so we can see what has failed within the printer?

This is what I am requesting to you.