Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I reset the lan settings on the printerbecause a presentation

Customer Question

I reset the lan settings on the printerbecause a presentation my son was trying to print got stuck. Since then I have been unable to reset successfully. I have a cannon MG5250 and windows 7 computer.
I have reset the printer to the wireless code, even changed the IP address to match the computer. But the computer still does not recognise the printer. Please advise
Category: Printers
Expert:  Danel replied 2 years ago.

Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.
Please tell me what OS you have on the computer you are trying to print from.

Daniel :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

i don't know what an os is

Daniel :

Computer operating system. Some use Windows, some use Mac and some use something else.
What are you using?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Windows 7

Daniel :

Ok, I happen to have that same printer. I have to look up what is going on with it, please stand by.

Daniel :

Ok, the way to do that is to select Setup on the Home screen on the printer.

Daniel :

Then select Wireless LAN setup

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

yep done this

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

easy set up or other set up

Daniel :

It needs to be initialized. This will erase all connection settings. To do this you need the Cannon IJ Network Tool.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

where is this

Daniel :

Starting up Canon IJ Network Tool

1. In the hard disk on which the Canon IJ Network Tool is installed, double-clickLibrary > Printers > Canon > BJPrinter > Utilities > Canon IJ Network Tool.

• You can also start up the Canon IJ Network Tool by clicking [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] Network Settingsfrom Help & Settings on Solution Menu EX.

Daniel :

Ignore the image please.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

is this on the computer or the printer

Daniel :

What that should say is that in the folder that the Canon installed its stuff find the Library/Printers/BJPrinter/Utilities/Canon IJ Network Tool.
Or you can start this by selecting the Canon IJ network tool by clicking Betwork settings from Help in the solutions Menu EX.

Daniel :

This is all on the computer.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

i think I have also deleted from the computer in trying to re-establish a link, I have put the CD rom back in but as it cant find the printer it has only partially loaded and not been able to complete

Daniel :

After you reset it then you need to probably go to the printer and reconnect to the network.
I treat mine as a portable printer, I take it where I need a printer/scanner and have no problem switching from network to network. I do not, however, mess with the IP addresses.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

that's what I think I've done

Daniel :

Then you will need to reinstall everything that was on the CD or go online to Canon and download the package.

Daniel :

In Windows it is more difficult than it is in Mac. Mac keeps it all together and easy to find, Windows puts things in strange places and makes it hard.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

That's what I have tried to do but it still couldn't find the printer in the reset

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Shall i talk you through this

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Run Msetup4 exe from CD rom

Daniel :

Lets try restoring to factory settings.
Start by selecting Reset LAN settings on the Operations Panel of the printer.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Yes done this shall I hold fire on the cdrom and then Go for easy install (like the other times) or would you advise custom install

Daniel :

Ignore the blank boxes, just a glitch.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

yes done this

Daniel :

Easy install.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

takes 18 minutes to complete

Daniel :

Ok, you will probably need to restart after so mark this so you can return easy.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

don't know how to do that

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

has come up with cd labelprint already installed press yes to uninstall no to continue with existing. All other times I have pressed yet

Daniel :

Set this as a favorite place in your browser just like any site you wish to return to.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

done

Daniel :

Now go to the printer and use the images I sent above to reconnect to the home network.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

I haven't pressed yes or no yet

Daniel :

Yes or no to what?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

to the CD labelprint is already installed press yes to continue or no to continue with existing

Daniel :

Yes to all.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

finished installation on the computer but it cannot detect the printer.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

The images show changing the printer setting to small amended copy is this correct and this has been done

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Do I now rest up the wireless lan setting now and can I go through this with you

Daniel :

That is because the printer has to be reset. Follow the images above, just scroll back to see them.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

I don't think the photos match. If I go into set wireless connection I have a choice of easy set up or other set up. IN easy set up my network is not coming up and i have amnually added this

Daniel :

If you do not follow the setup then it will not work.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Which is the set up _ I am doing what you suggest - but there aren't any images showing this (if you check back)

Daniel :

Select the tools, they look like pliers and hammer.
Then device settings, tap OK.

Daniel :

Use the arrows to move up and down to LAN settings.

Daniel :

Press OK.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

yes done this

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

then if I go into wirelss lan set up it says easy set up or other set up

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

which one?

Daniel :

Easy setup.

Daniel :

It will find your network. If it does not then a factory restore will need to be done, clearing any and all internal setting on the printer.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

my wireless connection is not coming up automatically. On the other occasions I have entered it in myself should I do this again or is this the problem?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

I searched again and it came up Just putting wireless key in

Daniel :

Sorry, I had to look at mine.
Select Tools/Device settings, it will three to the right.

Daniel :

You will see LAN settings, click that and then the next will be reset LAN settings.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Haven't we just done that - do you want me to do again

Daniel :

Once you do that you should be able to return to Wireless LAN setup and it should now find your network.

Daniel :

Please do this, there is no other way.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

so i have reset lan setting but still not appearing in the printer easy set up

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

OK found it and added wireless key - now what shall I do?

Daniel :

Ok, LAN settings all reset. Your home network does not appear in the printer when it searches for networks?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

I'm now connected

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

But still not printing

Daniel :

Now go to the computer and make sure it can be seen and printed to.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

no the printer is still not recognised.

Daniel :

If it all works like it should the computer will still have all it needs to use the printer, if not then it will have to be added to the system.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

so how should I do that?

Daniel :

Working on it

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

THank you

Daniel :

Is the computer and printer on same network? Just asking.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

we only have one wireless network

Daniel :

What happens when you try to print?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

no printers installed

Daniel :

Can you open the Solution Menu?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

yes

Daniel :

What happens then if you click Photo Print?

Daniel :

Or any action for that matter.

Daniel :

This is from Canon and may be of help.
PIXMA MG5250

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

thank you I have used this one thing I am unclear on is: the SSID is the network the pas

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

the SSID is the network

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

the wireless key is the passphrase

Daniel :

Yes, SSID is the network name.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

What is the WEP - is this the wireless WPS PIN

Daniel :

Correct.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

I think that I have done all this

Daniel :

Then restart every thing and try using the printer again.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

I had done all this beforehand 4 times and done again with your support

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

If I print of the current settings - can you check what should be

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

I Have active wireless lan that is the correct address

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

it says channel 6 - are there other channels?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

WEP key length it says inactive is this correct?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Authentication says WPA2-PSK is this correct?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

The IP address is this linked to the printer it is registering as a different number to the computer is this correct?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

IP verdion IPv4 is this correct?

Daniel :

Something is being overlooked and I think it is in your computer printer software installation.
What is your security setting on the network? WEP or WPA?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

oh it does say mac address is this the problem - or is it just the mac address if you are using a mac?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

I don't know WEP or WPA is. We just enter the wireless key in to access the network or other devices

Daniel :

MAC address is the MediaAcessControl, it is a unique identifier that each device has.

Daniel :

The printer does connect to the network, the computer is connected to the same network, correct?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

Yes same network

Daniel :

Ok, I found what may be the issue. The printer was not connected to the network when the CD was used to install the software.
Run that again and if there is an uninstall feature then use it first.
Then reinstall the software and then both should see each other.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

OK will retry

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

No printer still not detected

Daniel :

I see no reason for it to not.

Daniel :

Did you uninstall the software? After doing that did you restart your computer?

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- :

No I'll restart the computer

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : Then retry to install again. It gets stuck at the point of finding the printer
Daniel :

Then go to Programs and select that software, then click uninstall. Then reinstall it after it finishes.

Daniel :

That is Start menu/All Programs/ MG5250/MP drivers Uninstaller

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : I have just been deleting them - is this correct to uninstall ?
JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : Found it
JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : i am now i
JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : I am now uninstalling cannon mg5200 series
Daniel :

Ok, good.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : closing down computer first
JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : i have the printer off at the moment. Should I turn it on
Daniel :

Yes, it has to be active or you will be doing this all again.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : also it has come up that a driver solution menu ex is not installed. Is this ok before I reinstall from the cd
Daniel :

Yes, it is telling you it needs to be installed, this is good.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : Oh the printer is whirring it hasn't done that before
Daniel :

All good.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : Just waiting the 18 mins to install
JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : No not worked again
Daniel :

I am out of ideas so I will optout and let another try, sorry.

JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : thank you for trying
JACUSTOMER-ixetsjqe- : Very helpful but it didn't work and had tried most of this already several times
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer / computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Are you still able to make a copy (not print) on the printer?

What's the brand and model of your internet / wireless modem/router device?

Do you also happen to have a USB printer cable? We may need it to test the printer temporarily.

Can we do a remote session, so we can chat, and I will be able install / set up the printer directly on your computer?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes still able to make a copy
The brand and model of the internet is bt hub 3 setting
Don't know where the USB cable is
I'll check about the remote system - never used this website before and am nervous of security so at this stage would prefer not to

You can see our company reviews at the Better Business Bureau website:

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403

With remote session, you can see everything I do on the screen, and you can stop any time using your mouse.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm away for the morning now. Will reply when I come home
OK. If you can, please try the following first:

1. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless modem / router device for about 5 minutes, then reconnect.

2. Turn off the printer, then disconnect the power cord from the printer for a couple of minutes, then reconnect.

3. Go to Start, control panel, programs, programs and features, and uninstall the Canon driver... program.

4. Restart the computer.

5. Go to Start, Devices and Printers, and if you see any Canon printer there, then right-click on it and remove it.

6. Follow the steps again below to reconnect the printer to your wireless network name:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG5250.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-776467&page=1&type=faq#Wireless Connection Connecting the Machine to the Network (Initial Setup)

7. Click on the website below to download and install the printer driver (don't use the printer cd disk:)

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG5250.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-988044&page=1&type=download

, at that website, scroll down to the bottom, then download/install it.

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I have found the cable and been able to complete the installation and print from the computer. Still not working wirelessly as not able to print from the other computer and have not played around with any settings on the other computer either. Does this give you any ideas?

Also when watching bob iplayer it has been a poor connection maybe this is the problem?
What do you think.
I'm sorry, when trying my suggestion, it still can't find your wireless printer with the download installation?

When you select the wireless option during installation, does it give you an option to use the usb printer cable temporarily for setting up the wireless?

To check if it's an issue with the printer or the computer, can you try all my steps on another computer and check?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to spend some time doing the work. After spending near on 8 hours trying to sort. I won't have time to do any further work until later this week. Thank you for your support, I will try your suggestion and will respond.
You're welcome. No problem; please take yoru time. Thank you