Engineer John C.
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified and 10 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Brother 540CN. Paper tray is full but will not print

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello John! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?

Are you able to make a copy(not print) on the printer?

Is there any error or message when printing?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. it is a Dell

No

No

Turn off the printer, then disconnect the usb printer cable form the computer
, then disconnect the power cord from the printer for a couple of minutes, then reconnect
, then turn on the printer

Is there any power / light on the printer?

Can you make a copy on the printer, then let me know what happens? (Don't print from the computer, but make a copy on the printer.)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, correction to my answers: yes, I can copy documents on the computer.

Actually.

1. You print from the computer (not copy from the computer.)

2. You make a copy on on the printer. For example, you put a photo or document on the printer's glass, then make a copy.

Which one does not work? or both?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, copies I try to make on the printer's glass don't work either.

Neither work.

Sorry, does it give any error or message on the printer's screen when copying? Does the light flash, etc.?

Edit: It looks like you are away, so I'm opening this issue to other professionals. We can continue whenever you are available. Thank you,

Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does the printer make any sort of noise when sent a print job?

Does it feed blank paper through it when you send a print job to it from the computer, and/or when you do a photocopy on the printer? surely it must do something. Or is it just 'dead' to all things?
If 'dead', what exact light(s) are On, showing on the printer's panel lights/indicators?