Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

HiI have a Lexmark Optra S 1255 mono laser printerleft

Customer Question

Hi I have a Lexmark Optra S 1255 mono laser printer left hand margin is affected by a saw tooth pattern where printing is missed. I shall be satisfied if you are able to tell me what to do that will fix the problem. I shall not be satisfied is you tell me it needs to be serviced or repaired by others. Hope that is fair. Richard

Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The conditions you set seem fair enough to me.

Please clarify as to whether you have changed any parts in the Optra S1255 printer recently. Please also mention whether the 'saw-tooth' pattern is dark and caused by excess toner deposition on the paper, or perhaps only caused by missing print.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Russell

No changes to printer parts.

pattern is missing print

There is likely to be a fault in a rotating component in the printer.

The printing problem, if it has a pattern that repeats itself, should belong to a component that the the same length around (in circumference) as the repeating of the pattern.

My guess is that the photosensitive 'drum' has been damaged near the edge.
(The fact that it is a sawtooth pattern, indicates to me that the problem is not owing to a dirty corona wire, which would produce a line of missing print on the page that would be linear, not sawtoothed.)
The 'drum' is the greenish-metallic-looking roller - it is very easily damaged by moisture, abrasion, chemicals, being touched, and even being exposed to distinct light for over 1/2 minute in 30 minutes' time.
The 'drum' is sometimes inside the toner cartridge these days, if so it is usually under a protective sliding hatch.

This printer is a monochrome model, so there would be only one drum, or only one toner cartridge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The pitch of the saw tooth pattern is about 6mm.

The drum is as you say green metallic, it has not been touched or exposed to light since the problem started. it is also 25mm dia (probably one inch).

the mark (lack of print) is very distinct. bottom edge perpendicular to the roller, top edge about 30 degrees to bottom edge.

if it was damage to the roller I should think it would be at a pitch of 507mm (circumference) not 6mm. Would you agree?

Anything you can suggest I can do to fix it?

(I lost my response owing to a bug, here's the retyped version:)

I am not certain the problem is in the drum. I advise trying a replacement and seeing if the error goes away. The pattern doesn't really indicate any specific element if it is 6 mm long.

If you do the drum replacement, please save the old drum in the original packaging of the new drum... it might prove fully re-usable and save you some expense.

(If you would prefer to have a second opinion from another Expert I will Opt Out, which gives you that chance without extra charge.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The drum may be the problem but I see no logic given the pitch of the mark 6mm all down the page, and the circumference of the drum being 507mm.

A repeat roller pattern would be at 507mm pitch.

Please do pass to another expert.

I have Opted Out. I understand your reluctance to accept my opinion - good luck.