Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a much-travelled HS 20 EXR, some of the results being

I have a much-travelled HS 20 EXR, some of the results being printed on a Canon M5250 using Kodak paper, for exhibitions and competitions (with some success).
Recently, some photos didn't print with 100% accuracy as far as colour was concerned, enquiries at my local PCWorld told me my print heads had worn out, so I purchased another Canon, a M5350.
Sadly, I still have the same problem, and I'm £100 poorer!
Also, last December I took some black and white shots, only about two dozen, and whilst in my Finepix photo gallery, they appear b&w, some (but not all) print with a reddish tinge to them (not sepia). I rarely touch settings, my photos being 'what you see is what you get'.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Regards,
Graham Looker (Cornwall)
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name isXXXXX regret that your case waited so long for a response; I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

When assessing whether one's printer is defective in some respect of color rendering, it is always advisable to print some test sheets generated by the printer itself in order to be quite sure that software on one's computer is not the producer of the fault.

Also, printing of photos on a Canon printer, using Kodak paper (which I may say, has something of a reputation as rather cheap & possibly low quality) may not be the best idea in the world.

But that's hindsight: as to the present problem, it could be caused by several things, so I need to ask a lot about your computer etc.:

- What computer are you printing from? Windows PC, or Apple computer? and of either one, what version of Windows (or MAC OS X) is on the computer?

- What program are you printing the photos from, on the computer? if an Adobe product, or several other applications of some elaboration, the color tinge could be caused by the software.

- To isolate the problem a bit, I advise (if you have a Windows PC) that you print the same photo after loading it into MS Paint
(Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - Paint)
and then printing it from MS Paint. The result, compared, may allow you to see whether the redness is caused by e.g. Photoshop (or whatever application you normally print photos from) as opposed to being caused by Windows' own printer drivers, or perhaps the printer actually.

- Does your HS20 EXR have a 'white balance' setting capability? that might affect color, though it would show up (if any problem existed with the settings) on the photos themselves, e.g. as reviewed on the camera.

- If you look in your printer's Printing Preferences, under Effects, is or is not the 'Photo Optimizer Pro' option enabled? it can effect how your colors look, when printing. (Printing Preferences, on a Windows computer, can be checked on when just before printing, by clicking on the Preferences button in the Print dialog... though this is slightly uncertain owing to variations in the programming of such Print dialogs. It certainly can be found through the Properties of the printer's driver in Windows...)
If it can't be found there, you may have the XPS driver for your printer installed, in which case the MP driver might give better results.

Let me know, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russell,

thank you for your reply.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium and the Finepix programme which came with the camera.

Yes, my camera does have a white balance setting, but as you say, would show up on the camera review.

I should have tried more tests with printing before rushing out and purchasing a new one...pretty silly really.

I'm interested that you are not keen on Kodak paper, which I have to say I've always found suitable, although I have used other makes on occasion. What do you recommend?

I found 'Paint' in my accessories, but have no idea how to get an image from Finepix to there. I can send to Documents, email recipients , etc., but I'm not the brightest light on the tree with computer technology by any means.

I appear to have sorted the b&w problem out, though I'm still puzzled by it. If I go into settings and click Automatic, an optimum image is reproduced and when printed, has lost its reddish tinge. I'm puzzled because some of this same group print okay without this operation.

Looking at my colour problem, I've noticed today that its vivid yellows that lack vibrancy. Photos of rape fields and autumn trees with yellow leaves in the sun, do not print as they appear on my computer screen.

All other colours seem to be as they should.

Whist I think about it, a photo of my eldest son and his fiancée, taken by a professional and emailed to me, prints out with an awful orange skin tone, also my photo of our Golden Cocker Spaniel also prints out much more golden than the pale colour he was. Does this all tie in?

Many thanks for your time and patience!

Regards,

Graham

I recommend using Canon photo paper with a Canon photo printer.

Kodak paper can work often enough that it has some attraction, but you are much surer in a dubious case, using Canon made and recommended photo paper.

Sounds like yellow has a problem, in your printouts.

Check the color balance inside your printer (first of all) by printing out a self-generated test sheet that shows all four (including black) primary colors (including yellow.)
Do this by pressing MENU on the printer, then
Select SETUP (the 'tools' icon)
then press OK.
Select MAINTENANCE (the ink-drops)
then press OK.
Select Print Nozzle Check Pattern.

Let me know the result.

Are you using Canon-OEM-made original inks, or 'compatible'/refilled/remanufactured cartridges or ink ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russell,

easy answers first: I will try Canon paper as soon as I can access some.

I only use Canon inks, in this case 526 for colours and one black and a 525 for PGBK black. Since I've only just purchased this printer, these are new cartridges as supplied with the machine.

I did a print as you suggested. It looks okay to me, but all the colours, particularly the yellow, are quite a bit paler than the screen image.

I can't locate the Printing Preferences to find out if the Photo Optimizer Pro is enabled or otherwise.

I think what I'm going to have to do is contact my computer technician who troubleshoots for me. I will show him our correspondence and see what he makes of it.

Consequently, we'll call it a day I think.

However, thank you again for your efforts which I appreciate.

Regards,

Graham

Thank you for your courtesy, Graham.

If the Nozzle Check print looks paler than the screen image colors, but the colors are evenly balanced and not pale in themselves (on the printout) then the problem is likely on the computer.

By all means ask about finding the printer's driver settings and the Photo Optimizer Pro setting - I think that's a good approach.

If you think my efforts were good, please rate my Answer, so that I may be paid for the work that I have done on your question.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable