Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

Hi there, I have a Dell 2150 CN printer that likes to turn

Customer Question

Hi there,

I have a Dell 2150 CN printer that likes to turn itself off after being on about 2 or 3 hours. Power isn't simply 'cut,' it actually flicks its own switch. I can't find anything online about it. is this normal? Can it just stay on all the time?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is not power save mode as this would happen within the hour, so appears to be the Power Supply or Mainboard that is malfunctioning.

I would really advise not to keep it on all the time. Any malfunction involving power is a risk to keep using the unit (especially if unsupervised)

I would advise to take it into the store you purchased it from (to be done under warranty) and have a hardware diagnostics performed on it.

The faulting component can then be found and replaced.

Feel free to ask if you would like any additional information please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It may be it happens within an hour. Shall I test it?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Yes please, confirms if it is within or outside an hour and then we know if it is the power save feature.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK will do this afternoon,

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

One way we can know now for sure though, is when you print to it, does it automatically come back on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. The switch stays in the off position so it can't come back on.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, it is not the power saver mode, it is a fault occurring within the printer that you will need to have diagnosed and repaired.

The fact it does not wake up from this mode confirms it.